Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D

Good evening all - a question if I may!
Ruby is now 5 1/2 months old and I have taken her so far to two puppy training classes - with good success! Her recall is good - she is great off lead when I take her out too.

Her weaknesses still though are:

1. When she sees new people she just HAS to jump at them. There is no malice at all, but it's something I want to stop! She has stopped doing it at home (most of the time :? ). I have started taking her to our local town to 'desensitise her to people' - and I've been taught to 'park' her too. This is fine, but she's a big lass and I am not and she has taken me off my feet doing it!

2. She still pulls on her lead when we first head out. Fine on the way back, but because she's getting very strong it's again something I want to knock on the head!

The trainer says quite frequently 'She's a typical lab' - she's the first lab I've had!

We feed her on Purina Puppy Robust - and I have had one friend (before we came home with her) who told me not to use it as it made her Boxer puppy quite hyper!

Thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated (even though I know she's still only young!!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
I couldn't comment on the food as I'm not familiar with it, however, your trainer is right, the kind of problems you are experiencing are pretty typical of a labrador.

You need to continue with the training - training, training, training... at this age its all about being consistent and not letting them have an inch.

Do you have any friends that would be happy to help you out with training not to jump up whilst on a walk? I.e. you could arrange to meet them somewhere and practice getting her to sit whilst you chat, or just wait patiently.

I know exactly what you mean about when you are first setting off on your walk, one of mine used to pull a little when we first went out of the gate. Have you tried turning round and walking back to your gate when this happens? and only going further when you get a nice heel? I know you might feel like a plonker doing this in the street, but it will pay off and she will soon get the message.

HTH :D

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Indy is...was a puller. We tried many methods which only worked in the short term. Then the wonderful Keith (centrefire) took her off my hands and literally within 30 seconds got her to understand the jist of what he was asking. After 10 minutes she wasn't pulling even slightly. After that, the wonderful Steve (westmacott) taught me how to get her to walk to heel, without me even holding the lead!! All this in just one day.

All I can say is if you can find a gundog trainer (or even a normal trainer) and a slip lead, get shown how to use it correctly then your dog will never pull again. I was absolutely aghast at how fast and permanent the results are :D

G

·
Milford_Cubicle said:
Indy is...was a puller. We tried many methods which only worked in the short term. Then the wonderful Keith (centrefire) took her off my hands and literally within 30 seconds got her to understand the jist of what he was asking. After 10 minutes she wasn't pulling even slightly. After that, the wonderful Steve (westmacott) taught me how to get her to walk to heel, without me even holding the lead!! All this in just one day.

All I can say is if you can find a gundog trainer (or even a normal trainer) and a slip lead, get shown how to use it correctly then your dog will never pull again. I was absolutely aghast at how fast and permanent the results are :D
Ooh! Wonder if they could do the same with Rueben! :wink: :oops:

If he carries on pulling the way he does I'm going to end up with arms like Mr Tickle!! :lol: :lol:

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all!! :D

I shall persevere. My eldest daughter's best friend is very good with her - she turns her back, says off! and ignores her until she sits - then she will stroke and make a fuss of her! Maybe I should be paying her!

:lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts