Labradors Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today,, I saw a lady with a black labrador with the most glorious coat. I asked her what she fed and I nearly fell over in shock.
She fed Weebox (that horrible slimy roll of stinky stuff) and mixer.
She said she has tried all complete stuff and was fed up with squitty poos and bottom burps.
Well, I have been thinking about it all day - I am stunned.
Sherry

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Well I used to feed my old dog on scouts tinned meat and biccie. She was as fit as a butchers dog with a fab coat. I often think it's a bit of a myth you need to pay through the nose for quality food. If it works for her why change?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I used to feeb Chubb a roll not unlike Webox, also fed Asda`s own food and mixer to my dogs pre bARF, all lived to good ages (14 and 15) and never needed vets visits apart from annula boosters up until they had to be PTS (2, the other died following an op)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Madison was a food tart, she would eat anything. Her coat and health was at its best when she was fed weebox and mixer, cheap as chips to buy and she loved it.

Her coat suffered when i chaged her to a complete dry food.

sometimes cheap is best. :)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I guess it's like horses, some are good doers and others aren't. Or people - I only have to look at a lettuce leaf and I put on a pound, Tom on the other hand eats sweets like a starving man and is like a hat rack. (So unfair!!)

Katy

·
Registered
309 Posts
food

Sorry but I can't believe that a cheap food can safely be fed to your dog. Those 15kg bags at £10 - £15 how can you possibly collect the feed turn it into dog food, advertise it bag it ship it, pay your staff and still make a profit on something that will cost the buyer up to 50p a day. Making the cost to the supplier much less.
Sure in the early days the dog may look well, be full of life maybe even a good glossy coat but at the age of 6 maybe 8 - 10yrs old the poor feeding will tell the tale.
Even at £35 for a 15kg bag it is still only just over £1 a day which is pretty cheap to provide a good diet and give your dog the best chance possible of avoiding those late life illnesses and you paying the vets bills.
Just MHO for what its worth.

John.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no way I would feed it.
But her dog was 10 years old, bouncing around like a two year old, never had a days ilness in her life, no squits except from when she was changed to a 'proper diet'. She had been on this stuff for aroung 9 1/2 years.
As Kate said, obviously what does for one doesn't do for another. It certainly does for her.
Sherry

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Re: food

lartamax said:
Sorry but I can't believe that a cheap food can safely be fed to your dog. Those 15kg bags at £10 - £15 how can you possibly collect the feed turn it into dog food, advertise it bag it ship it, pay your staff and still make a profit on something that will cost the buyer up to 50p a day. Making the cost to the supplier much less.
Sure in the early days the dog may look well, be full of life maybe even a good glossy coat but at the age of 6 maybe 8 - 10yrs old the poor feeding will tell the tale.
Even at £35 for a 15kg bag it is still only just over £1 a day which is pretty cheap to provide a good diet and give your dog the best chance possible of avoiding those late life illnesses and you paying the vets bills.
Just MHO for what its worth.

John.
Sorry John, but things dont always make sence, I tried a number of dog foods before buying Wagg & they all gave Ben bad skin, i ran out of sulpher it was getting that bad, Since on wagg worker at a tenner a 15kg bag, hes been great, no skin problems at all, your right in theory it shouldnt make sence, but im not going to argue with a happy healthy dog,
Harriet

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Someone once told me that the price of manufacture was not greatly different between these premium dog foods and the cheaper dog foods . That was a dog food wholesaler . I dont know how right this was or not but it made me think .

I think that you really have to go with what works for your own dog .
Some ( not all ) farmers feed their working sheep dogs cheap complete and swear by it and there dogs dont seem to look at all bad on it .

I do wonder if by feeding premium complete to some border collies it can mean they sometimes end up with epilepsy ? , I know this is a genetic problem but I wonder if there could be a link ie if a high quality food is a trigger in a genetically predisposed dog. Just a theory .

My first Border collie was fed a premium brand and he developed epilepsy and died at 6 years old. To my knowledge non of the others from his litter had a problem but they were not on a premium food . I have heard a similar story with another BC.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My Two have Wagg worker £7.59 -17kg from the cash and carry they are fit and healthy work 40 days in the shooting season they also get pilchards twice a week on top , i have tried most of the others skinners etc but the dogs are no fitter/healthier for paying a lot more money .

G

·
Jemma lived to a happy age of 15 and a half on bakers complete and pigs melts! She also used to have table scraps and a royal array of trees. She even managed to eat a whole packet of chocolate jammy dodgers once including the wrapper and produced the wrapper again whole a few days later. Nothing upset her stomach, she had grapes left overs with onion in, raisins, even the odd little bit of chocolate!

Ruby is fed on a premium food, no table scraps and if we give her anything else she tends to get the squirts! (Coachies seem to be the only treats i can give her without her getting a runny bum!) She does have a super shiny coat though.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Roly and Twix were always fed on asda own tinned beef dog food and mixer, I only switched to complete for Twix 2 years ago as she was getting a bit overweight on vets advice. They also had weebox occassionally for a change. Roly lived to 12 years old before she had to be PTS due to a tumour, and Twix is 14 in 3 days time and doing fab :?

They are all now on Chudleys complete sensitive (due to Cori's problems) with probiotic natural yoghurt and added fish twice a week,

Money does not always buy what suits your dog :D

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Zensmum said:
Someone once told me that the price of manufacture was not greatly different between these premium dog foods and the cheaper dog foods . That was a dog food wholesaler . I dont know how right this was or not but it made me think .
I suspect for some of the larger companies that spend a lot on TV advertising etc., that might well be true.

Bakers and Pedigree for example must spend a fortune advertising on TV and have big marketing departments, which must eat into profits and force prices up. Whereas smaller companies that don't pay for TV advertising etc. may well have more of a budget for ingredients and still charge a similar overall price?

I've not heard of a high quality food causing epilepsy, that seems an odd train of thought - do you have any links?

I'm sure there are dogs that seem to do well on cheap foods, live to a good age etc. and if that works for them, great, I'd not wish ill health on any dog. I would rather not chance it if I can afford to spend more though. I wouldn't buy a food just because it was expensive though, I buy a food because I think it's good. I do wonder though, like John, how on earth some companies manage to produce a 15kg bag for £10 :?

G

·
It goes against the grain to feed my dogs what I would consider rubbish. After all I wouldn't eat rubbish, nor would I feed it to my children.....You are what you eat, an' all that. However it also goes against the grain to spend an absolute fortune on a bag of dog food, when you only have their word what is in the bag (those brown balls could contain floor sweepings for all we know).

Some of the healthiest and longest lived dogs I know were fed scraps, bones, meat, bread, you name it, they ate it. Also my friends Whippet lived on the dreaded Bakers all his life and he managed a happy, healthy 15 years. So I really don't think spending a lot of money of food always correlates with the dog living a healthy, long life.

Obviously the Webbox and mixer suits the Lab Sherry saw....so why change this. If I thought my Labs would be bouncing around like 2 year olds when they reached 10, I'd run out and get some Webbox for my dogs now. :wink:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Sorry no links just something that a few working trials folk have talked about for some time . This is only a feeling and Could be way off base , I think that a few handlers that have been unfortunate and have had BC's that have started with epilepsy have found that it coincided with a change on to energy rich food .

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The profit margin on dog feeds is HUGE - I worked as a manager in a big supermarket (in Denmark) some years ago and we had a 40-55% profit margin on ALL the different feeds and that was in spite of some of them were imported!! 8O

I buy a pallet of feed and my dogs are on two different feeds: a hypo-allergic chicken/rice which is £10/15kg bag and the other is Chudley's Salmon/Veg which is £12/bag - I think the Salmon/veg is about £17 recommend retail price so the £5 is obviously what the shop would make MINIMUM. Bigger customer than little me would get their feed even cheaper so they would have a bigger profit margin. Cheap'ish feed is not always the worst and very expensive is not always the very best. Admittedly, some of the very big companies do spend money on research but they most certainly also spend a lot of money trying 'research' how to design the bags to catch our eye and choose their feed rather than the not so 'glossy' bag next to it. They also spend a lot on sponsorships, advertising and samples and in the end there's only one person to 'pay' for all this: the dog owner feeding this feed :wink:

Natasha

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I used to feed Dill on Bakers ( yes I know now!). He lived to 15 and a half, with a fab coat and was fit and active until thee last few months.

I was feeding Cassie on Skinners for the last few months and her coat beame fabulous ( from being rather poor from puppy farm). I recently switched her to JWB and don't think her coat is as nice as it was on Skinners.

So figure that out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts