Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog came to us as a puppy on Royal Canin Maxi puppy and we have kept her on this as she has done well on it. She is now 14 months and we are moving her onto adult food. We bought a small bag of Royal Canin Maxi Adult to start the switch but wondering what the difference is between this and the RC labrador adult? (Apart from price - labrador is more expensive). Protein seems to be higher in the labrador one.
Any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I'm not a fan of Royal Canin at all I'm afraid, for the quality of the ingredients it is very poor value. And I certainly don't believe in breed specific foods, it's a complete con in my books, I don't even use different food for my pups than for adults. I would say the main difference is it's a cunning marketing ploy to lead you to believe there is a difference and you should be feeding a breed specific adult food. What happens if you have a Labrador x I don't know, would the food work? Of course it would, any food would work, dogs have developed to live alongside us and eat scraps for hundreds of years. If you have a look on a website called 'All About Dog Food' you can compare the various dog foods on there, and Royal Canin rates very poorly I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Food can be a very contentious subject as everyone has their own favourites and beliefs.

Personally I've not got a problem with food brands recommended by vets. Royal Canin, Hills, Eukanuba, ProPlan, Iams they've all gone through years of scientific research by qualified veterinary nutritionists.

Re. the RC Maxi v RC Labrador; I think you will find when comparing the ingredients that the Labrador version is lower in fat, 13% opposed to 17% and has more in the way of joint supplements. I mostly feed my youngest Eukanuba Labrador but will swap to the general one depending on what's on special offer, I just need to feed a little less of the higher fat content one or else he'd pile on the pounds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Poppy was put on prescription Puppy RC because she came home from the breeder at 8 weeks with Coccidia. When she was 10 months she started with leg problems. The X-ray her and found no hip problems or any problems with her leg. We were told to stop feeding her RC puppy and he said we should give her RC adult which we did. Once off puppy food her leg problems went away. She started the first bag and along came COVID and the price for RC sky rocketed. That was the end of Poppy eating RC. I'm with you Tarimoor with the quality of RC food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts