Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

It has been a while since I last wrote a post on here. Yogi is now a proud 7 month and a huge handful :wink:

However I have got some concerns regarding him playing with other dogs or puppies. He loves to play no problem with that but it seems to me that sometimes he just gets carried away and overexcited. He has played with a couple of younger and smaller puppies lately and he is very rough with them. They mostly end up lying underneath his belly and just trying to push him away. However Yogi just keeps biting their ears and neck etc.

One of the dog owners said that he started turning really nasty even though there was no noise (growling, yelp or bark). He was playing with a little cocker spaniel puppy not too long after that and when she yelped cause he stood on her he jumped up and ran away and didn't start playing again until she initiated it.

When he was at puppy classes the nurse told us that puppy play can become quiet noisy but they are harmless. They normally let each other know when it has gone too far. When it becomes very rough though I do take Yogi to one side until he is calmer again but is there anything else I can do so that he doesn't get over excited in the first play.

I think some dog owners are worried when they see him in the park therefore I don't let him off the leash unless it is one of his usual play mates.

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Luna's normally the one rolling on her back pushing off the other dog even when it's a 3months old tiny springer spaniel pup :roll:

It sounds like you are doing what I would and that is separate them if it seems to be going the way of too rough. It sounds like he responds to the other dog when he needs to.

If he is ok with sharing with toys I often find giving one to Luna when she goes to play generally makes the play less rough.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Puppies are puppies and need to be allowed to be puppies. Many people are so precious of their pups and won't let the play, play to a puppy is all mouth and teeth and can look like they are fighting, they are not, infact what they are doing is vital to their development and how they will interact with other dogs as they grow up. It is for this reason that stopping pups from playing with other pups can result in serious issues later on.

It sounds like Yogi is a very conscientious, fun loving pup and please don't listen to other owners who tell you he is being nasty it simply isn't true.

Love his name by the way :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts