Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wierd question I know, but Suzie has had a lump the size of a golf ball on her knee since she came. It has never given her discomfort and has not noticeably altered in size but I feel it is time to have it checked out and removed if necessary.

The reason for me asking is her pet insurance has just come through from John Lewis and even though we have never claimed it is now £55 per month, I am really unsure about keeping it going to be honest and if the cost of sorting her lump did not exceed £653 then I am seriously thinking of telling them to stick it.

If anyone has any idea of what this could entail I would appreciate hearing about their experience.

Thanks -June

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Jack's lump removal cost me about £600 with the histology analysis as well, he is getting more and more, the reason for this one being removed was it was the size of a grapefruit and on his chest and it impeded his movement.

He had problems with the stitches tearing so we had follow up visits as well, I have to say that I would ALWAYS have insurance, Jack's is £45 a month and worth every penny for the peace of mind.

Molly has just been in for a mysterious sickness bug and all the tests etc cost me £468.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Kaiser had a lump in his ear and had a biopsy done, his cost between £80 and £90
Edited to add he also had one removed from his head and too remove it and do a biopsy on it the total was around £300

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your replys, we have been to the vet this morning for another check to see if it is still ok to leave well alone.

It seems it is still soft, not attached or increased in size over the 2 years Suzie has been with us, the advise was to leave it alone still keepan eye open for any change ie, increase in size, going from soft to hard, Suzie paying attention to it as in discomfort, which of course I have been doing all along, so all in all she was given a clean bill of health, and other than trying to get 2 kg off her weight she is in pretty good shape :) .

I do realise that having insurance is important as Mischa proved last year. she used £3000 of hers last year with her cruciate OP and I was gratefull for having the cover for her, I must admit it does worry me cancelling Suzies insurance but having spoken to the vet about the costs we could incur in the future it would be unlucky to exceed what we are forking out at the moment, so I will be putting £55pm away with the £50pm I have been putting away for Bruno which is a fair amount keeping a close eye on the pair of them.

You know it is a mine field this insurance business, but it seems when they get over 6/8 years the ins companys do not always do what they say on the packet and I have thought long and hard about this, taking into account the most likely thing they both will need in the future is dental [not covered by insurance] and poor old Bruno has very few teeth left, Suzie will need a good clean in the next year, then the arthritis that seems to affect most labs, I already buy them the supplements and thay seem to be doing ok on them, so I reckon if I put the money away atleast it is there if they need it, and I won't be looking at what has gone in the ins co coffers over the last 2 years and paid for zilch.

I promise to let you know over the next few yearsif I am seriously out of pocket 8) , will be ringing insurance company tomorrow to thank them and cancel DD :lol: .

June

·
Premium Member
11,582 Posts
June we were with John Lewis,they sent their renewal throughon Saturday.It had gone from £37.86 to £66 .88.Admitedly Tara is 8 years old.I was furious,how could they charge almost double,they were really unsympathetic.John Lewis are now part of Royal sun Alliance.We contacted several pet insurances,and came up with More Than who are also part of Royal Sun Alliance.They are charging £40.83 for £12,000 cover.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Margaret, that is interesting, to be honest I have stopped googling for quotes but tomorrow I may have to see what I can come up with.

I do think though that most companys do not want the older dogs on their books, not sure why as Mischa is really a bigger risk with her shinanigans than the other two who really just poodle about on their walks, not getting into much trouble at all :lol: bless em.

June

1 - 7 of 7 Posts