Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m so lucky to be part of a dog training community here in France. I have friends and a mentor and we get to try out lots of different doggie activities. Today was ringcraft. I took Freddie and Poppy and swapped halfway.

By the time it was Freddie’s turn, it was baking hot and I was exhausted so my friend Wendy offered to handle Freddie. She doesn’t show but wanted to be involved in learning a new skill. She did brilliantly.

We have a show on 13 June, after a 16 month break, so we wanted the dogs to get used to being “gone over”. My mentor, Lynda, took Freddie and we coerced Wendy to go over him. She’s not familiar with showing protocol so Lynda told her to check his testicles. She gamely set to the task in hand, but I didn’t have my camera ready. We teased her mercilessly afterwards but to her credit, she did what she was asked. 🤣🤣

Here is a great photo of Freddie, Lynda Batllé-Hunter (of Springcurl CCR) and Wendy (first ever female navigator in the RAF).

Reactions: Lyndaloo and JohnW

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
My dog club used to have a ringcraft class. Each week a different member was detailed to be "Judge." We also had an active KC Junior Handler group. I was normally asked to demonstrate the different exercises with Beth, who was very good handling on the fore or back.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love doing it. We have such fun. Today we had 2 labs, a curly, a goldie, a Bichon Bolognese and a Dalmatian. Pre covid we also had folk joining who didn’t have show dogs or “borrowed” a dog (usually a Sussex). I’m so lucky that my little club does so many activities from gundoggery, tracking, rallyO, obedience, flyball, ringcraft. Today I got to handle a curly for ringcraft and a bit of obedience. It was just Fabbie.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
As a club we were competitive and pet Obedience and Ringcraft Our regulars at ringcraft were several Goldens, Saluki, Affenpinscher, Weimaraner, Hovawart, and Bernese. But the majority were Goldens. Our chairman before me was also chairman of a Golden breed club so several of his members came to us. For Gundog work I used to instruct for the United Retriever Club and for the Flatcoated Retriever Society.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lynda is our mainstay, her first love was dobes so obedience is her thing. Most of our club members have rescue dogs (no fixed breed but heavily French hunting dog influenced). Ringcraft is the only place with purebreds. We had a Bernie too but Brexit and Shengen means he’s no longer able to visit so often as his mum is based in the UK. ☹

Reactions: JohnW
1 - 5 of 5 Posts