Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear is a bouncy 9 month old male. Any tips on the right age for neutering? He is very frisky and is trying to hump his bed and legs etc. He does get very excited and try’s to dominate and can sometimes be a little aggressive, he is normally a friendly loving lad. This leads me to think now is the right time? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
I don't have dogs, I have bitches, so the decision is a little different, but if I did have a dog then I wouldn't neuter unless medically necessary. As an owner of bitches it never ceases to amaze me that people think humping is a male only activity, it has very little to do with any sexual desires and more to do with levels of excitement. The most well behaved dogs I see are stud dogs who will recall away from a bitch in season when asked to do so, there is no dominating or trying to take over the world, they are trained in that respect that when a visiting bitch is there, they do as they are told. None of the behaviours associated with having testicles are untrainable, and removing testicles doesn't necessarily calm a dog down at all, and can have more negative impacts on health. So for me, it's a not unless there's actually something directly affecting a dog that requires neutering.

·
Premium Member
8,846 Posts
No, no, no! I’m with Tarimoor, only castrate if medically essential. I have 4 bitches (1 entire) and 1 dog, (entire) and the boy humps way less than the girls, if ever. The times he has, it’s been out of sheer excitement certainly nothing sexual and usually one of the girls heads! I’m new to having a male but his breeder (who also bred two of my girls too) wouldn’t have let me have him if I was going to castrate him.

Castration, particularly early, can have negative impacts on both growth and behaviour. The number of “difficult” dogs I’ve seen at my dog class and the single thing they have in common? Early castration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts