Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been reading LF for some time and found the hints and guidance really useful.

I have a Yellow Lab called Mac, who will be 2 in Oct. He is great fun and very true to his working lines. He is lean and very fast and any water he is near he is in. He is actually a really strong swimmer.

My problem is his retrieving of tennis balls. He will do anything I need of him if I have a ball in my hand, walks next to me and recalls perfectly. When he has the ball it is a different matter. He knows when the walk and play time are over and drops the balls at my feet. Before then though he will carry 2 ( or 3 ) in his mouth and not give them back.

I have joked that he isn't a Labrador retriever he is a Lab bring it back close to you!

I know I have probably created this behavior by taking 4 balls out with me, however I am looking for advice on how I can get him to bring the ball back and drop before I throw it again.

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
We used to have 2 tennis balls only and Luna HAD to drop the ball before we would throw the one we had in our hand. She eventually cottoned on that the rule was to do what we said when we said it!!!

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Try teaching a hold then a release command in the house and then convert it to outside play. As Mac gets closer to you with the ball, say hold... and then give or what ever you want to call the release.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies, I think more work in the house. I did do some work with "in my hand" command for emptie poop bags in the house , where he got rewards for touching them , then picking and giving them to me. I think I need to go back a few stages and do this again with tennis balls or other items so he learns the " in my hand" command consistently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts