Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do if a young dog has retained 2 top front incisors ? this dog has a perfect bite but for some reasons when it changed it's teeth 2 baby teeth were not not pushed out as they should have been . They apparently are not causing any problem but are not loose either . They are sitting just behind the top front teeth . Any thoughts as I was not sure what to advise.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is fairly common and happened to a friend of mine. They had them removed when their dog was under a general whilst being neutered at around 9 months old.

?

·
0 Posts
Pood had two retained Canines for several months after her new ones were through. My plan was to have them removed when she went in to be spayed. However in one particularly rough game of Tuggies, they came out attached to the rope toy, so saved me a few pennies. :wink:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
How old is the dog? Theo retained his upper canines and at 7 months we were advised to leave them a month and if they weren't out to have them removed... We left them longer than this, didn't really feel it was necessary to put such a young dog under a GA just for his teeth, and suddenly one day we noticed they were wobbly and the next day gone!

·
Administrator
20,981 Posts
Canines so often hang on until well after all others have changed. But left alone they will invariably drop out eventually. Personally I never worry, they wont crowd the adult teeth out and adult teeth growing near will in fact help to dislodge them.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This dog is 10 months and they are incisor teeth :roll: . Thanks everyone I shall pass on the info and fingers crossed they will eventually come out on their own , I shall advise use of a tug toy :lol: .

·
Administrator
20,981 Posts
Now that is very unusual! Canines yes, incisors no! Have you seen them? Are you sure it's incisors and not just your friend not realising what incisors are? Sorry, I'm not trying to be patronising, but it's very unusual. Normally the roots start to atrophy at around 10 weeks and by 12 weeks or so the adult teeth start growing behind them and finish the job. Any incisor still there by 10 months old is a bit worrying. I think I'd point it out to the vet.

Regards, John

·
Registered
230 Posts
Enid will be four in November and still has a lower baby incisor. Her adult teeth have pushed it forward but it's still there! Mentioned it to our vet when she was younger who was not overly concerned and said if she has a GA for other reasons he would take it out. She has had no problems with it though so we have left it!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes definitely baby incisors sitting there , I know that they intend hip scoring so I think that they will probably have them taken out then .
Must admit this is the first time that I have come across this .
Many thanks .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts