Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, were due to pick out our new pup on monday im so excited except not sure how bailey will react to new pup. Bailey is spoilt :roll: and i would hate it if he really hated a new pup :cry: Bailey obviously cannot tell me either way but i just dont want to get it wrong. When were out on walks he has a sniff at other dogs but is generally too interested with the walk to play with other dogs he has played and mainly with other labs or spaniels but not very often.Im so confused and worried at how Bailey is going to react.

I have a friend who has an older lab should i get her to bring her round to our house and see Baileys reaction? im so confused.

Sarah and Bailey

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I think as long as he is ok with other dogs you shouldn't worry too much. Would the breeder let you bring Bailey to meet the pup before it comes home?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Hi Sarah ( Bailey is very handsome :) ), how exciting for you getting a new pup. I can understand how you are a little nervous about how Bailey will react. I always think that this is a bit of an unknown quantity and have found it different each time we introduce a new pup to our pack.

I would suggest that you definitely supervise All interactions until you have that gut feeling that all is ok and that they have become the best of friends. Adult dogs each react differently and you will just have to be careful and if Bailey choses not to interact at first make sure that he has somewhere to escape to .

In our own pack we have 1 dog that is frightened of puppies , 1 that is our puppy mentor , 1 that lays down the rules ( we call her the sniper as she nips the pups on there nose if they are rude and makes them scream ( does no real damage just shock ) ) 1 that is the over all pack leader and they are always respectful and he never plays with pups and finally 1 that plays like a pup with the youngster but needs to be told not to be boisterous .

As you see I cannot predict what Bailey would be like because all are different . Just wait and see and make sure that Bailey is not over whelmed by this delightful bunndle of energy. Hope this helps .

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Try not to worry Sarah I had all these reservations too a few weeks back. I am glad to say that Skylar and Elphie are best of buddies now - well almost.

Skylar sounds very much like your Bailey. Sky is almost a year old now. Sorry I don't know how old Bailey is you may have said before.

I took all the useful advice I received off here and when we brought Elphie home I put her straight down with Sky in the garden. Skylar went bonkers running round and sniffing etc, and was quite full on. We had to watch carefully and restrain the excitement a bit, but on the whole it went fine. Skylar has learnt to calm down a lot since, except when they are playing of course. The first week was a real mixture and Sky did take the whole week to finally come round to this new little whirlwind that was sharing her space! On the Friday though our old Sky reappeared, almost as if she had thought well the strange little thing is here to stay so I may as well accept it. I am glad to say that Sky is her old self again, and her and Elphie play with each other fine. I did a fun post yesterday about all the things Elphie loves about Sky although whether they are all reciprocated by Sky is another matter ... :D :D :D

Just remember to make lots of extra fusses of Bailey, and greet him first before the pup! :D

I am sure that Bailey will love the new addition, but may take his time about it...they are all different. Enjoy your new pup though. :D :D

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Our Sam was the Sam was the same, spoilt :wink: and not that intersted in playing with other dogs, and when we brought Max home Sam was 5 years old, oh boy was it hard, for two weeks we seriously thought that Max woud have to go back to the breeder, Sam wouldnt go in the same room if Max was in there, and I cant remember how many times I cried in frustration.

Then after 2 weeks Max could go out for a walk with Sam and for the first time Sam seemed to take a bit if interest in Max, then later that night, Sam went up to Max with a toy in his mouth and dropped it for Max to play with and from that minute on they have been the best of friends.

Even out on walks now Sam loves to loon around and play with the other dogs, which he never used to.

So dont worry if they dont click immediately, give them time and Im sure they will be fine :)

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Try not to worry, you will get teething problems but i bet in a few weeks they will be best of pals!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Aaww congratulations on getting a new pup :D

Sorry if you've said before but what colour & sex are you getting??

I'm sure that everything will go well with Bailey and your new pup and they will soon be the best of friends :D

·
Administrator
21,500 Posts
There is no knowing what will happen Sarah. Actually all of mine have taken my pups under their wing, with the exception of Anna, who hated Amy with a passion! It took two weeks for her to come to terms with the new situation, but now she loves her to bits!

Yes there is bound to be a settling in period. Even if he loves pup straight off he still needs to learn that he could hurt pup by his shear size and weight. But really, you make the rules, and relax! Wait and see!

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi thanks, and in answer to your question Bailey is nearly 3 and we are looking at another yellow male? would 2 males get on ?

Thanks Sarah and Bailey

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I know exactly how you are feelling, Meg is nine now, so eight when Mole came home at New Year, she hated her with a vengence (either that or she was scared of her!!!) she spent 3 weeks running away upstairs everytime (and I mean everytime) Mole went anywhere near her. Then all of a sudden it was like a lightbulb went on and she realised Mole was here to stay, and she pounced her out in the garden and full on playing commenced and hasn't stopped since :lol:

I just made sure that she had somewhere to go that Mole couldn't get to, it did take time and I went through a real moment of 'oh my god what have I done,' but it came good in the end so if you have any problems - hang on in there :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, i was in the exact situation three weeks ago. Its daunting!
Toby was also VERY spoilt and was lavished with attention almost every hour of the day.
When we first brought megan home is was scared, as she was quite nippy! (and knew exactly where to nip him if you know what i mean?!)
It only this past week they have started to become friends.
Toby makes sure he is lavished (if one of us sits on the floor he curls up in our laps like a newborn child!) and we make sure they have time appart so they get individual attention.
The good part was that megan never cried for her litter mates and mother on the first night, due to the fact that toby was right next to her in his crate.
Good luck, im sure they will be fine together! xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts