Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing Dante's pedigree and I noticed that one of his great-great-grandfathers is a French lab named Olé with a wealth of show titles, including a Reserve CC at Crufts in 2003, but he also passed some field trials and earned the title of Junior Hunter in the States.

I couldn't find more information about him because his name was just "Olé", with no kennel name. At least not until today, where I noticed Olé on the L'Etang Balancet kennel website, which bred Dante's great-grandparents and grandparents.

It turns out that Olé was a rescue dog who was adopted when he was around 1.5 years old, but he had rather nice English blood, most of his grand-grandparents coming from the Mardas or Poolstead kennels.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I was talking about Ole with someone else off here only last night! He is Henrys great grandad as well and was a fantastic lab. Maddie sent me a link on FB last night but I'm not sure if i can put it on here so i will ask her to post it, her Lulu is related as well :D

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
http://etang-balancet.pagesperso-orange.fr/oleGB.htm

Yes, he was adopted as a rescue and identified by his tattoo which traced him back to his original breeder and of course his pedigree. I believe they didn't want him back, a decision I suspect they lived to regret!

French dogs don't always have kennel names. If you have a kennel name you'd normally have to register as a professional breeder which has all sorts of tax implications. French red tape, typical!

I met him in 2007 and 2008 at CACIB shows in Toulouse and Montluçon when I was showing my Betty (aka Bluebird) and Carys. Lovely dog.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dante's grandfather (Dario Suedo De L'Etang Balancet) on the mother's side is bred by the Etang Balancet French kennel and Olé appears twice in his pedigree (grandfather on one side, great-grandfather on the other side).

@Maddie, yeah, that's the page I found and it says that "What amazing life you had, first to get you from a rescue place at 1 year and a half was already to show us that your life will be different."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts