Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now come across the issue of trying to rent a place to stay whilst having a dog for the first time. I really didn't think it would be so hard.

I currently live with my parents and my partner has her own place but in a different town; we want a place together but in my town. Not having the finance for a mortgage; we have been looking at property to rent and landlords are soo fussy with pets; I guess they do have the right as it's their property though. I found a website called letswithpets and found an agency in my town that has properties which allow dogs; however at the moment there is none that suit. I have now just come across a property if an absolutely perfect location and price for us; but it's from a different agency; the ad on right move is very short and doesn't say anything about pets. So I've had to email.

Has anyone here experienced this situation and got any tips or words of advice on how I could increase my chances of getting this property and convincing the landlord that 'everything' will be okay.

The place is unfurnished; has nothing but white goods; and with Sonny being crated and always under-supervision with somebody always being home; the only potential thing I can see going is pet smell and hair.

I've given them an email to ask anyway.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
DO contact them to ask and say you are open to giving them as much info as possible. My last rented property was let through an agency which as standard put NO PETS allowed on all adverts! Agents asked the landlords before I viewed the property and they were more than happy to have Luna move in... there were even 2 dog kennels in the back garden!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
We have rented before but not whilst owning a dog........Renting for longer than anticipated after selling and before buying own home again was a significant factor which delayed getting our Lab.

The reasons why many exclude dogs vary but with decent rentals not usually being available for long landlords &/or managing agents have the luxury of calling the shots. Why would they want to have pets in their premises if they can secure tenant(s) without them ?

Obvious issues of concern for landord/managing agency might include the possibilities of........Damage to decor, furnishings, fittings, garden also dog odours and dog waste. Other issues might be concern re complaints from neighbours if dog escapes, gets into their garden, aggression etc etc.

You ask what to included in your email I suggest as much info to reduce or negate fears of the potential matters I have mentione and outlining full acceptance that you are happy for deposit to be used for dog related issues...........Just bear in mind cost of a re-turf if the place has a garden.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
We had lots of trouble finding a place with two Labradors and a cat. We were so lucky in our first rented house as the Landlord was fantastic.
It took us ages to find another house. We eventually did, its heaven for dogs here as we are right on the edge of a huge country park (literally walk a few houses down to the entrance to the Park) BUT we are about half an hour (an hour with Monday morning traffic) from work.

We paid higher deposit, got a good reference from the prev landlord and advised my dogs are crated when not in to supervise them.

·
Registered
772 Posts
We have previously rented a house and had a puppy. Although we were already living in the house when we decided to get Busby.
We had a long discussion with the landlord (through the agency) before finally agreeing that we could have a dog.
We had to agree to a couple of things and had the contracts redone:
1. We had to leave an extra deposit for any damage Busby caused
2. We had to get the carpet professionally cleaned when we left to get rid of the dog smell and any trace of dog hair.

So it might be worth while offering to do these things in your negotiations..

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
As well as agencies, keep a look out for private ads where you can speak to the house owner directly too as if you come across as a nice person and responsible owner, they might reconsider a no-dog policy?

I've only rented once with dogs and like the above poster, we were renting for some time before we got the first dog. I approached the landlord (it was a private rental) and asked if there was any chance of him allowing a dog, because otherwise we were going to look for somewhere else to live. He decided he'd rather continue with us as tenants he knew, plus dog, than have to look for a new tenant and risk getting a problem one. Not much help to you as you're not already in the house, but it did show some flexibility on the house owner's part.

Good luck!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that ideal located place I mentioned (although we have not seen inside it yet as there is still tennants in).

The agency said the landlord is aboard so they contacted them and got back to me and said the dog is fine. Pleased.

However, the only barrier is my partner needs a Job before moving to my town; as we can't move in if she doesn't have a job.

She is currently in permanent position and can't just quite because they would not be entitled to help. So it's the catch now that we have somewhere ideal allowing a job and she can't find a job. Been applying for jobs daily for weeks aswell.

Grrr!

·
Registered
244 Posts
We rented when we had only one dog and were very limited as there was quite a small area we could rent in (due to schools etc) and all the properties said no dogs. So we approached one of the landlords and suggested we gave double the deposit and that we would have the carpets professionally cleaned on vacating.

When I handed the keys back to the owner she was so impressed with how good the place looked and how the garden was still nice and the carpets smelt fresh, that she would change her policy and now accept pets in future!

So, even if a place is advertised as no pets, it has to be worth asking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts