Labradors Forums banner

121 - 122 of 122 Posts

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Hi Gillian, now for Darling Dot.

Not much at the front of the pedigree that I know much about, although it’s almost solid working, with a smattering of show further back. Both Bickerdyke and Patanavac are working people. Trying the remember the name of the person who owns the Patanavac affix. He used to post on a working gundog forum which I also posted on. Suddenly came to me, John Cavana! He gives occasional demos with his dogs. He came to Thame Fair a few years ago and after came back to my house for a chat and drink. (My memory is getting so bad!) So you never know, I might have seen that dog even though the name does not ring bells. Next dog back is Eastdale Harry. Born 9/3/2007 he was bred and owned by Alan Schofield. He was another really good looking dog and although I cant remember the year but a friend of mine persuaded Alan to enter him in the Field Trials class in the breed ring at Crufts, with my friend Philly taking him in. That was where I met him close up. A lovely dog! FT Ch Lafayette Tolley was another very well know FT Ch, bred 14/4/1991 and owned by Nigel Mann. A strong yellow dog. FT Ch Kilderkin Renoir was born in 1984 bred and owned by Mr and Mrs McMullen. Pocklea Remus I’ve already mentioned on your other dog so I’ll leave that line going back. FT Ch Abbotsleigh Joshua was bred by Mr and Mrs Hales. The affix is still in use, now by Sarah Coomber-Smith. (Not sure but believe she is a daughter??) She once judged the Gamekeepers Ring at Crufts. (I believe without checking my old Crufts Catalogues that it was the year I handled Kate Smith’s Charway Summerrain. What a beautiful dog Summer was, but enough of that, it’s irrelevant here.) Several more dogs I’ve already mentioned in the other pedigree, but I must mention FT Ch Tasco Dancing Brave of Willowyck. As I said on the other Pedigree, Tasco was the affix of Alan Rountree in Ireland, But in the days of Dancing Brave he was bred by Alan’s wife, the late Mary Rountree, who I think was responsible for most of the breeding before she died. Dancing brave was brought by Alan Thornton, who owned Shinshall Apache. Patch as he was know was Alan’s favourite dog.

On the bitch side, I cant tell you much until the back line, FT Ch Styperson Grouse. Grouse was born in 1994, bred by Mr and Mrs Dudley and owned by Mr H Taylor. But off the back of your 5 generation pedigree are some interesting dogs you might like to know about. So I’ve posted their pedigree here. Two affixes might interest you, one is Sandringham, the affix of HM The Queen. Her “dog man” at that time, and keeper on the Sandringham estate was Bill Meldrum, assisted by a then very young Ian Christy. (now Squareclose Labradors) The other affix of interest is Stratfieldsaye which is the affix of The Duke of Wellington. I don’t know who his dog man was then, but today it’s Brian Winman.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thank you so much again John. Fascinating, I love it! We selected Thistle due to the initial connection to the sire and his health credentials. He is owned and worked by Alan Jarvis who lives at Bawtry near Doncaster. He has retired from breeding his own bitches but studs two fox red dogs. He still works and owns a few labs. They look cracking dogs. Alan was my source of Arya and Millie many years ago. With the exception of my first lab, all my others have been from working background but all yellow bitches. Thistle is fox red, her parents are both dark fox red too and Brig has dominance for the colour in his DNA if I'm understanding this correctly. It matters not too much to me, she is yellow on KC and is now part of our family. Funnily enough Arya is my lightest and Thistle my darkest lab. I believe that my previous labs, Brigantium True (Amber) and Brigantium Wendy (Arwen, her neice) both had the Sandringham line in their ancestors.
I really appreciate you taking the time researching and sharing. Thistle is now 10 weeks old and we are thrilled with her

Reactions: JohnW
121 - 122 of 122 Posts