Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First for all thank you for this forum, I have found it reassuring and helpful to read others posts.

I lost my beautiful chocolate Labrador Tia 5 weeks ago just before Christmas. I miss her so so much, she was so special and we did everything together. She was 11 and half years old and died suddenly after being ill for a week with a tick/flea fever. Two weeks earlier she had been described as a "marathon running super granny". We took her to the vets for a check up to see if she needed any arthritis/pain relief as she occasionally limped. We are not sure but it is possible the anaesthetic for the xrays activated the infection in her blood, it may have been there for a while. All the if onlys are terrible - if only we hadn't agreed for xrays, then if only I had spotted the symptoms earlier and taken her to the vet earlier. Deep down I know I did everything but I am scared she may have had a better chance if I had taken her to the vet earlier. It was a nasty infection and the vet was shocked at how Tia was not responding to the treatment. She couldn't fight the infection no matter the treatment or love and care we gave her. She was brave and still wagging her tail even though she was so unwell. I know she had the best life with us and we were lucky to have her in our life....but I miss her.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,392 Posts
I'm so sorry for you. I know how hard it is when you lose these wonderful oldies.

I have similar problems in that my Amy has several lumps, (not really a problem) but also a cancerous patch. My vet wanted to remove it, but I said no. She has had 5 stroke like episodes in the last year so my fear is that she would not come through the anaesthetic.

I think there comes a time when, providing there is not too much pain, that it's better to leave well alone. Of course, if there is pain then that's a different matter and we need to try all we can to alleviate it. It's all a balancing act. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

So what to do now? Different people tackle things in different ways. For my part I always want another, just as soon as I find a suitable pup. The young one never "Replaces" the old one, she simply finds her own place in my heart. Other people don't want another straight away, they need a grieving period first. It's down to each individual to decide what works for them. Some want a different colour so it does not remind them of the one they lost. Believe me, I've had yellow Labrador bitches since 1972 and everyone has been different! I could never mistake one for another.

John :)

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
I'm thinking of You xx
Many years ago, before I even joined the forum, I found comfort reading the Rainbow Bridge section ❤
The pics of Tia are so beautiful and I'm remembering my first labs - - Cassie, Sophie and Dilys, all chocs ❤
I know it's hard, but, that raw pain of missing Tia will fade and You will always have wonderful memories of life together ❤
Love from Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remembering Tia xx

Thank You for your kind replies. It is hard and the pain is unbearable sometimes to have to face another day without her. I have kept all her things out, made a photo story book of her life, got a canvas wall print made of her, have her collar with me all the time, we have her ashes, a photo and lights set out on a blanket she had to cover her when she was chilly. I will never forget her, she had so much character and personality and I try to focus on all the good times, the little things she did that were so much part of her character...I miss her so so much.

When I am calm I know there was no more we could do for her to help her fight the infection, it was such a shock though - she was never at the vets except for boosters/vaccinations. It was a terrible blood borne infection that we could not have known she had, we were lucky the vet recognised the pattern in her blood analysis and how to best treat her. The vet was devastated and given she had only known Tia for two weeks says a lot about Tia's personality and how she made her way into peoples' hearts.

"Remembering Tia is easy, I do it all the time. I will never forget her, she is held firmly in my heart".

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Absolutely gutted for your loss - she certainly was a beauty and continues to be so over the bridge.

Please DON'T look at yourself at all.... if then pat yourself on the back for giving thful girl a cracking home and a cracking life. She'll be saying the same to you and thanking you as much as you're thanking her for finding you.

Must go now..... I have tears to dry.

Good luck X

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry to learn of your sadness.

Tia was clearly and still is loved.

For what it may be worth I do not think you did anything wrong whatsoever.

Tia doubtless loved you and knew you loved her...she would not want you sad,. (from over analysing), keep those thoughts !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You for your wise advice, I know its true just on very low moments I wish I could have done more. I miss my beautiful Tia so so much. She has left such a hole in my life and I am so sad not having her here with me. It's hard to believe she is no longer here, my head knows she isn't but my heart can't seem to accept I won't see her again.

She was a typical Labrador - such good fun, full of mischief, loved her food, loved water = of any kind, fresh, salty, muddy, deep, shallow, she would be in it. She was also full of character. She had a whole range of vocalisations and I knew what every one meant without needing to see her, just to hear her and I would know what she wanted! She was such a chatterbox! Her facial expressions were brilliant, she could say so much with just her gorgeous brown eyes. She could move her eyebrows together or separately depending on what she needed to say. Not to mention all the different nose bumps she could give or taps with her paws or ear waggles or tail thumps. She was oozing confidence and would give anything a go, sometimes she needed a reassuring word but most times she would just give it a try. She has been on so many different modes of transport and visited so many places, met so many people and dogs. I was lucky to travel around Europe with her, first in a caravan for two years and more recently in a motorhome. She was a joy to be with and I was so lucky to be able to spend so much time with her on adventures but also doing everyday things together. She has left behind her older doggy sister, a border collie, who misses her. They spent even more time together as they were rarely apart.

Life is less bright without Tia and at the moment we haven't really found the way forward.

I found this short poem that I try to think about:
When tomorrow starts without me,
Don't think we are far apart,
for every time you think of me
I am right here inside your heart

Big hugs to everyone who has lost their special dog

"Remembering Tia is easy, I do it all the time. I will never forget her, she is held firmly in my heart"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
So Sorry

Karen - I have only just signed back onto this site. and Your Post bought tears to my eyes... It is just over a year since we lost Twiggy and I miss her so much still. She was 12 1/2 and suffered from all sorts of Elderly Ailments including Arthritis, Lipomas and Cushings - But she had a good life and when the end came - It was Gentle - I wish you all the best and hope that in time you will be able to offer another wonderful home to a deserving Labby - We finally got to that place and now have a Newbie in our lives - Can't help thinking I am too old for this - But getting back to the fitness I enjoyed with Twigs is going to be my Journey! I wish you all the Very Best - It will get better I promise - But you will never forget
Denise

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remembering Tiaxx

Thank You for your message Denise, I am sorry for your loss. I wish you much fun and happiness on your journey, with your newbie, wherever it takes you!

It has been 9 weeks and 4 days since Tia died. It feels like forever since I last saw her, patted her, rubbed her soft ears, kissed her nose. I miss her so much. She was so special and a beautiful girl, with so much love to share. We have so many memories of life with her and we miss her so much.

"Remembering Tia is easy, I do it all the time. I will never forget her, she is held firmly in my heart"

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cannot believe that a year has gone by. I miss Tia every minute of every day. Life does go on but it certainly isn't the same. I have really struggled without Tia, everything is duller without her I feel empty. She had such an impact in my life, she was my special heart dog. I hold her tightly in my heart and will never forget her. Xxxx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts