Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

how often do you worm your labrador/flea treatment?

I have been told by someone that over the counter stuff is rubbish and let a VET do it instead? Not sure if this is something that must ideally be done by a vet really?

Thought I would ask on here before doing anything?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
The person is completely correct in one respect, the over the counter flea/worming/tick treatments such as Bob Martin, Beaphar etc that are not prescription strength and therefore can be sold without seeing the vet, aren't worth the money and some have had adverse reactions noted previously. However, you can buy natural flea/tick and wormers that are good and aren't a huge dose of chemicals in either a spot on treatment or tablet form. I use similar ingredients to Billy no Mates, a product sold by CSJ to prevent parasites, and also use neem oil products to deter external parasites from attaching in the first place.

If, however, you live in an area where there's a problem and you think your dog might be affected, I would opt for having a chat with the vet to get a prescription strength product.

Just to note, I've not used flea/tick/wormer type products with my girls for over five years, we don't have a high level of them where I am, or we don't seem to, and I don't see any hint of any problems with my girls.

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
I'm not keen on putting medication in my dogs for no real reason, just on the off chance. Let me ask you a silly question, how often do you personally give yourself wormers and flea treatment? Yet we can get fleas and internal parasites such as worms.

I did need to use a flea treatment on Chloe a few years back, but that was the first time since Beth over 30 years back. I just keep an eye on my dogs looking for signs. Fleas are easy to see on a yellow dog, harder on a black, but still visible, though scratching is often the first sign. If I do need anything Advocate is my choice.

I have not used a wormer on my dogs for well over 30 years. But if needed the choice is rather more obscure. There are several different worms, round worms, tape worms, hookworms and lung/heart worms, and some things kill one type and others others. Also side effects are not uncommon. For most things I prefer Drontal Plus. This in my experience tends to be taken with less side effects by Labradors than Panacur, Though if your dog does react to it then the chances are it will take Panacur OK!!

Lung/heart worm is the odd one out. (I've used both names that it may be called, the reason being that it migrates from one part of the body to the other during it's life cycle. for information, this is NOT the same heart worm found in America, which is a whole lot nastier creature.) Lungworm has always been around, though really only in a relatively small area in the west country. Then one of the big drug houses got their wormer certified for use on it and went into a huge advertising campaign, scaring the bejesus out of dog owners, and suddenly it was on everybody's tongue! Yes it can be spread by slugs and snails, but remember, slugs and snails can only spread it if they are themselves infected, and VERY few are. So what are the signs to look for. Sickness, Diarrhea, dull coat, listless. All signs which CAN point to almost anything! Watch when clearing up poo, worms, particular tapeworm can sometimes be seen in the poo, looking like rice grains. (But remember, if you have recently fed some rice that the chances are thats exactly what you are seeing!!) Drontal wont touch Lungworm, Panacur will, but you may need a stronger than usual dose so you really need to consult your vet if this is suspected.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I use Simparica trio every month from the vet which covers fleas, ticks and most worms, and Drontal every 3mths for tapeworm. Unfortunately there are lots of ticks around here and I have an indoor/outdoor cat that regularly brings home fleas which makes treating both a necessity.
Certainly don't waste your money on over the counter treatments, they don't work.

Reactions: Yoshi

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I think I remember you saying that your dog is a puppy, that you are collecting on Saturday? They are recommended to be wormed at specific times, so I’d definitely ask your vet how often and get the medication from there.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Some people say it is, apparently anything 'hairy' like that is supposed to help dislodge worms as it passes through, but as they don't poop hairy poops after they've had one I'm not sure how true it is. Mine love rabbit ears as a treat, but I wouldn't rely on them as a wormer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts