Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 10 week old puppy has been with us for a couple of weeks now and has had diarrhoea several times on and off. We consulted the vet first time but never really worked out what it was, putting it down to picking up something in the garden. Since then he's had it a few more times and it has gone away fairly soon after. He has continued to be playful, no vomiting or lethargy and definitely still with an appetite. It seems to happen at night, his poos are typically harder during the day.

He has always slept through but the last two nights around 4am he has cried and upon letting him out he has had quite bad diarrhoea, making several piles that progressively get more watery. The first night we put him back in and he immediately needed to go out again.

Yesterday we fed him less and avoided any other treats but it has happened again today around the same time. He has settled better and has had water. Both nights he has had last meal around 7pm then gone to sleep around 10pm which has been pretty normal.

Any advice please? I'm wondering if his food isn't agreeing with him? Or we're still feeding too much? Another thing to note is that we've both gone back to working (from home) in the las so he has had longer periods in his crate during the day, but he generally sleeps well and never cries so doesn't seem stressed.

Should I consult a vet or wait and see? I did feed him chicken and rice the first time he had it but I haven't since as don't want to keep adding different foods in case that was part of the problem. This time we've reduced the amount of Royal Canin puppy food. Based on the packaging we've been feeding him 3 cups a day, spread over 4 meals, now reduced to 2.5 - seems a lot?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
20,743 Posts
I'm wondering if his food isn't agreeing with him? Or we're still feeding too much?
Very likely the latter. I wrote a piece about this some time back but because it's so common I saved it for posting again when the problem arises with other pups:-

Loose stools! So common in puppies, to the extent most pups are to a greater or lesser extent a bit loose. There are several reasons why this could be so.

Firstly there is the stress factor. We take a young puppy away from everything it knows, It’s mother and littermates, the place which it called home ever since it was born, even the only people it has ever known. It’s easy to imagine how this could upset it’s system.

Secondly comes food and drink. You know when you go on holiday how even the water tasted different!

Thirdly, also concerning food. Puppies grow so fast, and need large quantities of food to sustain that growth. But they only have little stomachs. Next time you feed him, look at him and imagine how small his stomach must be in order to fit in that body, then look at the food and ask yourself, “Where on earth does he put it all?” The answer is that a large part of the food passes through him so quickly that it is only partly digested, pushed through by the next meal! This is probably the biggest reason for loose stools and is perfectly normal.

Fourthly we come to the less good things. There are a number of parasites and organisms which could cause problems, Worms, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Guardia and the like. But these are not that common. Most breeders have a worming program so it’s rare these days that a pup from a responsible breeder will have a worm burden, but for all that, it’s possible.

If you are really worried then your vet is the person to talk to. They can test a stool sample and determine if there really is a problem or not. But the fact that some samples are firmer would lead me to guess that you probably do not have a problem. I’ve had pups remain a little loose for the first nearly 6 months simply due to the quantity of food required. The stools just gradually improve until you realise that they are now nicely formed.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had this with my youngest, she is now 13 months but for her first few weeks it was awful. We went to the vets and they tested her stool tried different wormers, fiddled with the food amounts etc. Eventually they suggested a fibre and probiotic to go in her food, literally hours after the first meal with it in she had the first solid poo for weeks and went through that night with no explosions. She now has a scoop with each meal and has never had issues since. Not saying it will work for your pup but if you get desperate it can't do any harm to try, i get it from amazon (half the price of the first tub i got from the vet) and its called Pro-Fibre. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts