Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lovely 4.5 month old black lab, she is currently being fed 3 times a day with Millie's Wolfheart riverside mix. (Incase anyone wanted to know)
I am a farmer which is a very busy job and I am always out and about, in different machines and places. She comes with me wherever I go and loves it.

My question is... Can I reduce her feeding times from 3 to 2 times a day?
Due to my job it is difficult (not impossible) to manage 3 times a day and feeding her twice a day would be so much easier!

As always your help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know people do reduce to two quite early sometimes; I'd just worry slightly about 2 big meals. As she's with you I'm sure it would be entirely fine, even positive and fun for her, to have a smaller amount with you and just chuck it on grass/whatever for her to hunt for it at a random break time during the day (fully appreciating how hard farmers work). I keep back some of Bailey's food now to do this during the day to amuse him (or put it in a Kong Wobbler) and he's 15 months. Because he's more active at boarding (they have own land) if he's there a few days he drops weight fast and the dog-whisperer and rescuer owner gives him a small lunch to avoid giving two big meals - which - being Labs they'll wolf down in seconds!

·
Administrator
20,904 Posts
Try to go another month if you can, she is still growing fast. My Chloe is just 5 months old and certainly not ready to reduce yet. If she comes with you cant you take a little of her food with you and slip in a feed while out. I'm sure she'd be quite happy having a picnic in the back of your truck. Even my adults still get a Bonio at mid day, and when I'm working on the shoot are quite happy having their picnic in the fields.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
How many times do you stop for food/drink/toilet each day? Surely one of these times would allow for another feed - straight off the floor if necessary. Can you just put a portion of food in a bag in your pocket, tractor cab or wherever?

Also, how much is she riding and how much is she walking/running/jumping around? Don't overdo it whilst she is so young or you could end up with joint problems later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts