Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

I would love some advice as there is too much info out there!

I have a 13 week old puppy. Just starting out on the lead properly. She pulls like mad already to get things to sniff or other dogs or after my 5 year old lab as well.

I was recommended a forward clasp harness.
What do you guys think about this one:-
https://www.canine-kit.com/ruffwear-front-range-dog-harness.html

What would you guys recommend please??

Deborah

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
At that age I wouldn't be inclined to use a harness but that's just my personal preference. When I first had Cola on a lead she was all over the place, I practiced loads in the garden before she was able to go out.

I then concentrated really hard on teaching her not to pull, every time she pulled I just stopped. She soon learned that pulling gets you no where, but walking nice does. I made sure, and still do have plenty treats and lots of praise when she walks nicely. Yes she can still pull especially in places that are new but she is doing brilliantly.

There is a lot of advice on the forum here that I found very helpful, also some here :)

http://www.apdt.co.uk/content/files/training-tips/Looselead_000.pdf

Another recommendation I was given was looking at videos on youtube by Kikopup, great short videos about lots of different training aspects. I find them very helpful :)

·
Administrator
20,474 Posts
Hi Deborah,
I'm not a lover of harnesses in any shape or form. At 13 weeks I would be using an ordinary soft collar and lead and by 15 or 16 weeks would be moving onto a gundog slip lead.

But remember, at 13 weeks old your pup does not need exercise as such, she gets enough of that running around the house and garden. At that age I treat all leadwork, and off lead for that matter as training. Get the heelwork sorted before she gets to big and strong and it becomes a nightmare.

Regards, John

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What great advice, thank you guys, So glad I asked!

Deborah

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I have had to take Twiglet out lead walking from 8 weeks old so I make sure she has a loose lead at all times. If she pulls, I don't move. I get her to sit and treat her for sitting. Then move off again. I keep talking to her and giving her feedback, keeping her attention on me all the time. No sniffing - sniffing is for off-lead play. If she starts to go ahead too far, but not quite pulling, I about turn.

I won't walk her with the older dog until she can reliably walk with a loose lead (It's harder to train this with GD pups as they have to walk ahead!) But you need to be 1) going nowhere! 2) more determined than they are!

It works, we are nearly there now with Twiglet (12 weeks)

:)

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I know it seems really boring but as John said above, walking at this age should be for training and not for pleasure. Get it right now and your adult dog will be a dream to walk - cut corners now and you will have a nightmare on your hands.

Besides harnesses not really being appropriate you would be mad to spend so much now, it will only fit for a few weeks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great great advice. Will stop walking them together and start this training straight away.

Got a few extra special hot dogs chopped tiny to begin for her!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Great great advice. Will stop walking them together and start this training straight away.

Got a few extra special hot dogs chopped tiny to begin for her!
Hopefully you're having fun together :) I love doing training with Cola,remember when they're small that only very short sessions are needed really. It's amazing how quickly they pick things up :)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I must admit, I made all the classic mistakes with my first pup, who will soon be 10 years old, and had to untrain the pulling thing. With my pups now, I don't train heelwork on lead when young, but off lead. The important difference is that they know where 'heel' or 'close' or whatever command you use, means they are positioned with their shoulder approximately against your knee. Putting any lead or harness on seems to encourage them to pull, and won't teach them anything, that's the difference, that they understand the word, not that you are restricting them in place with any lead and collar, harness combo, if that makes sense?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts