Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m new to this site! Just wondered if anyone has any experience with a recessed vulva?
I have a 10 week old chocolate Labrador called Sadie. She pees so much, I know she’s only a pup but have noticed she doesn’t look quite right around her back end
Has anyone experienced this? I’ve included pics so you can see what I mean. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Oh god, welcome to my world! Also called a juvenile vulva.

The bad news is you “may” have hassle in toilet training, have constant UTIs, puppy vaginitis, you may need to keep her vulval area fastidiously clean (wet wipes do the trick) but....it often resolves itself with the first season. Do not even contemplate spaying until after one or two seasons (not that you’d consider spaying before at least 18 months to 2 years anyway).
Do not under any circumstances think of spaying before a season.

My vets were surprised, one had never ever come across it before.

The good news is....she’s now fine 👍👍

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts

We called it an “innie minnie” 🤣🤣

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Maddie for that!
She’s going for her second vaccine so I will take a sample with me as I think she has a uti now! Does the pic look like your dogs? Do you think hers is mild? Or pretty bad?

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
It looks just the same. I haven’t got a photo of the first time I noticed it. We did have to take ABs for some time. She also had vaginitis so had anti inflammatories too. If you can open up the vulva a little and see if it looks red or inflamed that’s a sign. Good idea to take a sample. Pops had to have a needle inserted via her abdomen into her bladder to take a sample as I wasn’t prepared. Your vet may take a swab from the inside of the vulva which made Pops squeal. Chances are she’ll grow out of it as Pops has (Pops is now 2).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maddie- one last thing, did you try any supplements? Cranberry or anything to help prevent uti’s?

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
No, I just kept the area super clean. I also have a Labrador male who was very helpful in that score, he still is. Baby wet wipes and wipe the vulva after every pee. I also had a special cream to use around her vulva too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I just kept the area super clean. I also have a Labrador male who was very helpful in that score, he still is. Baby wet wipes and wipe the vulva after every pee. I also had a special cream to use around her vulva too.
Thank you, much appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts