Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a basic training article in Nov 2004 issue of Your Dog about recalling with a quick response which involved a whistle. I had bought a copy of this magazine before we got Corbie so re-reading I thought it sounded a good idea, as he ignores my 'come' command! :D

Basically, you blow 3 times on the whistle (I've got a Good Boy whistle which isn't silent but can adjust the pitch) whilst your dog is sitting in front of you and you're feeding your dog treats everytime you blow the whistle, repeating this exercise regularly for a couple of weeks.

Then you get someone else to hold your dog whilst in another room and you blow the whistle 3 times and they should come to you.

When Corbie is messing about in the garden, I blow the whistle (I chose to do it twice rather than 3 times so not to annoy neighbours too much!) he now comes in instantly!

You have to vary the treats/toys they receive when they come to you so that they don't get bored.

I shall be trying this when we go out for a walk at the weekend to see if it has the same effect in different surroundings, but so far so good. :D

Has anyone else trained the recall in this way?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Guide dogs are trained in a similar way - we have to put their food bowls on the floor while they sit and wait, then blow the whistle three times, which is the signal that they can eat. Then we take it outside and use it for recall with some tasty treats.

Sophie

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Karen

yep ... I'm a big fan of the whistle

I use it very much as you describe, two blasts and a tasty treat when he comes. Although I can't claim he comes 100% it works far more effectively then calling him, especially on a windy beach

I can actually turn him when hes galloping full speed towards another dog or person with the whistle when he probably wouldnt even hear me if I was calling him. Not all the time, but we are getting there!

Patience and consistancy .. :wink:

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
669 Posts
Karen,

Where do you get a good boy whistle from? I might give it a try. At least if I stopped shouting for two dogs to come back, people might look at me less strangely. :lol:

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Yes i use a whistle for Dylan,1 whistle to stop and wait and 2 whistles to come back to me then he gets a treat,I must admit i keep losing the things though but now i have a nice big one and hopefully i wont lose it.Lynne.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Like lablover I use an Acme 210.5

Don't be tempted to buy one of those pretty looking silver dogs head ones on EBay unless you just want it for its looks as its a hopeless whistle

I found that out the expensive way! :lol:

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
karen give your self a big pat on the back from me :D up untill now maxs recall has been when he sees fit to come back, even using treats toys and praise. after reading yor post i found an old whistle that came out of a cracker at christmas. i got max sat infront of me and then whistle treat whistle treat for a while. did this a few times during the day and then waited for him to wander off on his own. one blow on the whistle and i had one max sitting infront of me waiting for his treat. took him out in the garden this morning for his game of footie and when he started loosing interest blew the whistle. he came straight back to me 8O left him in the garden on his own, went in doors and whistled. again he came straight in.
sending the daughter to the pet shop today to get proper whistle.
cheers and thanks.
jane and max

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Jane - Glad to hear my post helped :wink: .

Sounds like Corbie was the same as Max - selective hearing for the 'come' command but, so far, the whistle is working a treat :D

Let's hope those labbies of ours keep up the good work :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
We had problems getting Duke in from the garden
so i bought a whistle from the ebay link that Karen said to try
Fantastic :D :D
Just one days training
giving 2 short blasts & he comes bombing in
for his treat (a markie or a grape)
£2.75 well spent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts