Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just got back from a very stressful walk with the boys.

Usually both Logan and Charlie are quite good when called, If they see another dog, they will run to them, have a little sniff and then come back.

However today was a totally different story!!!

They seen two dogs on leads and ran straight to them. I called and i called and i screamed and i screamed and they just wouldnt come back, I literally had to go and get them and pull them away.

I was so embarassed as the guy with the two dogs on the lead did not look impressed and i felt like a right fool who clouldnt control her dogs.

I put them both back on their leads and gave them both a telling off.

But are there any suggestions guy, I am still trying to find a training class for them to attend, but most in my area, have waiting lists and im going to have to take the boys seperate!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
recall

I'm a great believer in the long lead Clothes line if you don't have one. The idea inany training situation is always to be in control and not give a command you can't enforce. By which I don't mean use force simply be in a position to prevent a mistake by the dog.
I always start with the long lead practising the recall from increasing distances. Then add distractions. Once perfected in your own back yard increase this by practising outdoors in a variety of settings with numerous distractions. It is advanced training to perfect it and takes some time but a solid foundation using the long lead goes a long way to reaching that goal.

John.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i dont have one, but will most definetley look at purchasing some, if u think it will help with training.

Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Louie my doodle had the worst recall ever but for the last 6 weeks I have been using a long line and my word he has got so much better. They really do work so invest in one :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi
Are they brothers? They look very similar in age.
I have 2 sisters and our biggest problem has been controlling them when out. One always ending up leading the other astray and we got to the point where walking them was a stressful and miserable experience and we even considered rehoming one or both (which would have broken our hearts!)
We ended up doing a few of things. We did some separate walking ( not always practical I know, but hubby would take one and i would take the other) and if we split them up they behaved like angels. While out separately I would do long lead recall, which helped.
I also started to use a gun dog whistle and while doing recall practise, out or in the garden, associated it with the whistle and rewards!
Another thing we did ,and this seems a bit extreme, but on the advice of a trainer I went back to completely lead walking them (separately but mostly together using a Gencon head lead (brilliant leads)) for about 2 months!!!!! Pain in the behind but it seemed to work. I also think they matured a bit around 2 years of age which helped.
We also use a remote control citronella spray collar which we put on the dominant dog and once we got her under control the other one behaved also.
They are now 2 years and 2 months and they are calmed down alot. We no longer have stressful walks and i enjoy walking them- never thought we would get there!! :roll:
Sorry about my ramblings, as your two do not seem anywhere near as bad as my two were and I am sure you will sort it out quickly.
Good luck,
Carolyn, Daisy & Katie x

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I dont use a long line, and but thats not saying it doestn't work for some people. I just think people get confused on how to use one.

I prefer to install the basics first, sit and stay, and then recall.

If they have a favorite object to retrieve; ball, stick, flying disc. Carry that with you and if they get to far, give them a shout and throw the object in the opposite direction.

Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts