Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a magazine recently about recalling with a whistle.

To start your dog off, have him sit in front of you blow 3 times on the whistle and feed a treat. Repeat this process several times (and keep this training regime up for a couple of weeks). Gradually get your dog to go out of the room and try this process again and again reward.

Keep changing the rewards (treats, toys, etc) to keep him interested.

Then move the lesson outside and try the recall with the whistle when the dog is in the garden. I was amazed when Corbie came running in the first time I tried this :lol: It still works now. I've got a Good Boy whistle which I bought off of ebay, it's not a silent whistle either, so you can tell if you have actually blown it or not!

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Would you suggest this as a good method then to increase my chances of Bailey coming back to me when called??!

At the moment, as he's always been, he's a law unto himself and suffers selective deafness :oops:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can also start using the whistle to call him when you put his dinner down.
One of the advantages of using a whistle is that it does not communicate emotions (ie impatience, crossness, half-heartedness etc.) it will also carry further than the voice.
If your anything like me, I'd recommend buying a few too. One for the car, one kept with the leads and an extra just in case the others haven't been left where they should have :oops:
HTH :)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
OK, maybe i will need to purchase more than then :oops:

I would use it when i put his dinner down but he tells me when it's dinner time!!! He sits by his bowl until i come into the kitchen, then he backs out to the door until i tell him he can have it. He has a sixth sense i think - i could never forget to feed him!!!

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Yelling "Duyawantabiscuit" always works for me!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
we don't have doggie whistles or clickers here :cry: i'm gonna try every pet shop as we have just a few here..... karen was it ebay uk or usa let me check if they deliver to India.... frodo is deaf to "COME" command so i wud want to try anything....

thanks

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Tilly responds really well to whistle training, started based all around food and it made the connection..............she may not recall when called but always will with the whistle

Rhoni

·
Registered
180 Posts
Using the whistle to signal that the pup can eat is something that GDBA get us puppywalkers to do from very early on so that it can be used for recall later. I've trained my own two the same way and it mostly works :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Scooby does come when called except when he has found a scent trail.

Just wondering if whistles work when it is windy?? I try shouting but it doesn't reach him sometimes. :?

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Tilly has done trailing and the wind does has an effect on the scent.

I have never used whistle while she is trailing because she is working of her instincts, smell and wind to get to the quarry ( toy ).
All we used was a harness, to signal to her she was working, and a command to 'find it ' and then my arms were genrually wrenched from my sockets !

Should I need to do anything , I would use our command for her to bark, when finding, so I could locate her in the event she had travelled faster than I !

If I had used whistle in very early stages, before trailing so she was mega responisve to it then, then maybe, but as it is now think unproductive.........but thats us, maybe diff for others

But still swear by whistle in daily normal recall situations, windy or not
Rhoni

·
Registered
880 Posts
frodosmom said:
we don't have doggie whistles or clickers here
www.crosskeysbooks.com sell clickers and a wide range of books about using clicker training and all sorts of other dog related books and some unusual dog treats which are hard to get hold of (like pro reward), they also do international shipping by air or surface! - oh yes i think they have whistles too although any perry type (not with a pea in, they go manky, esecially in humidity or after rainy walks!) whistle would work.

Anna

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
frodosmom said:
we don't have doggie whistles or clickers here :cry: i'm gonna try every pet shop as we have just a few here..... karen was it ebay uk or usa let me check if they deliver to India.... frodo is deaf to "COME" command so i wud want to try anything....

thanks
I used ebay UK, and unfortunately the seller I got mine from only posts to the UK. :(

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Vidhya

Try this online store. They deliver to UK so I don't see why not India. They do all sorts of hunting dog related stuff - I bought collar bells for mine from there, no problem, and I know people who've bought whistles too.

http://www.lcsupply.com/store/flashcart.cfm

You coudl also try

http://www.traininglines.co.uk/

I know they do international deliveries and they have a huge range of clickers and training aids.

Nicola

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Thanks Nic.... i really need some good online shopping site ofcourse yes who are willing to deliver in India... Trust me the stuff we get here is :oops: lolz....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts