Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
Ziggy is coming up to 10 months now and has been a really well behaved doggy. But recently he seems to want to say hello to every dog and play really boisterously (is that a word!) and then ignores my calls to come. If there is noone about he is brillient and always returns at the first call.

He likes to play barring his teeth, although he dosnt bite and I end up finishing the walk with him on the lead. He is big for his age and I can see it would be frightening to have him charging up to your dog. But he is very friendly.

We go to good training classes which restart in January. and I do practise with him alot. Should I try a long rope lead? and do you think castration would help?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi. we took Angel to puppy class when she was 4 ish months old and she was brilliant at recall from then on, however we were due to start the bronze class a few months later but for different reasons we had to put it off. I think this lack of contact with other / different dogs took its toll as her recall wasn't great and it would take me a few attempts to get her to return to me. Since we've had Lily Angel has improved again and will come back as soon as I call her.

Maybe once you restart you classes and Ziggy is mixing with dogs on a regular basis again you might find the recall improves!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, maybe when we go back to training again it will improve. he is due to start his bronze in a couple of weeks time. It just is soooo embaressing though when he bounds up to people, as he is so huge!! I find myself apologising and making excuses :oops: Its ok if your used to dogs but if your not well......

Yesterday he took a fancy to a little beagle and trotted off with his family!! I was so annoyed as he had been very good at recall and there were other dogs about :twisted: Fingers (and everything else) crossed it will work out in the end.

Thank you

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Ziggy sounds like a completely normal young lab. Training and consistency is the key to solving this problem, not castration - that will have no effect on this kind of puppy behaviour.

You could try training recall with distractions using a long-line. You can do this very easily.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to try that today, well now in fact. I think he will be on a long line for a while!! :?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts