Labradors Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
poppy's recall is really quite good but last week on two occasions my husband and i had great difficulty in getting her to come back. 9 times out of 10 she will come when we call her, but last week she was so distracted by chasing a pheasant and on another occasion a swift that she would not come back. that for us is just not good enough, we had no control over her at all. after the swift incident - which was in a field - we put her back on the lead and got her to sit. when ever a swift came close and she didn't chase we clicked and treated her. we then let her back off the lead and she didn't try and chase them again. obviously that is not tackling her recall at those times but it seemed to stop her wanting to chase them in the first place.

so what can we do to improve her recall in this sort of situation?

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Looking out for advice! Luna's moving object was teenage neighbour leaving for school this morning - I was furious with Luna and embarrassed. She completely turns off listening ability when something more interesting than me comes along or when I switch off for just a second! So frustrating. Little minx was only off lead for half the walk instead of all and had to walk on it perfectly too!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's exactly what poppy was like on both occasions! my husband and i weren't there at all as far as she was concerned.

with the pheasant i just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me as it was around someone's front garden! :oops: i can't be having that 8O

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Feeling a little more trusting of my little minx after this afternoon's little outing. There was the sound of children playing just outside, she walked to heel from back gate to front gate through our garden. She sat to have collar and lead attached, sat and waited while I exited the gate - this took 3 tries to get right as child on bike now in vision!! But she did it and was rewarded for focusing eventually! - then sat and waited while I shut the gate behind her - 2 attempts. She then walked close on lead as asked, at which point children started screaming her name and running to say hi, could they play with Luna??!! I asked her to sit, she did!!! I unhooked lead and waited for her to look at me before saying 'go play'! She did!!!

I figure getting her to get used to asking me if she can go play could tame the just going ahead when she chooses. BUT I have the feeling it could take a while and will need me to pre-empt where/when the running could occur in order to be successful otherwise.... ! She'll be leaving the house on a leash tomorrow morning for sure!!!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glad you've had some success with luna :D

i too have been doing sit/stay before going out of doors/gates and we always make her wait before she's allowed to go play off lead but the problem is starting to occur when something animal like takes us all by surprise and she just won't come back :evil: this evening she chased a rabbit when it ran across our path 8O her recall is good but just not when there is something far more interesting around that she feels she can chase.

any advice anyone? :D

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
In the 'perfect puppy' book by Gwen Bailey there's an exercise in developing recall from chase. I'd need to look at it again to describe it (and I'm not at home at the moment), but I'll do my best.

Get 2 people and 2 toys that she's interested in. You throw one toy and other person catches it (I think). Dog keen to get to the thrown item. You then jump about and wave the other toy and when she comes to you, she gets it. That's not exactly how it goes.... but it's along the lines of making the dog think that you've always got something more exciting than the thing she's chasing.

Does that make any sense?

I'll look out the book and type a summary of what it says as I haven't described it right I don't think. It might be a few days though, but I promise I won't forget - just really busy with work at mo.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
That sounds an interesting exercise that Mo has mentioned - I'd give that a go.

The other thing is to de-sensitize her more to birds as essentually you are battling against her prey drive. I took Nellie to covent garden where everyone feeds the pigeons and various other places with lots of flappies to practice - it sounds like she already does well on lead but in theory it's like dogs who run over to other dogs....the more they see and habitually are calm around the less interested they will be.

Lastly, asides working on her recall i would work on what you 'do' on her off leash time. Really she's just found a fun game to liven up her walk. Focussing her off leash time on fetch or training or hide and seek with the odd totally free walk preferably on new ground thrown in will help.
I simpathise because i love the relaxation of off leash nothing happens walks but although Basil doesn't chase he too can make his own entertainment (usually hunting for dead thing) - particuarly if we're walking familiar routes.
Smart dogs need their brains focussing, not all dogs will come running in the hope of a treat when a great chase game is the alternative :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you!! :D :D

that's really helpful and i've actually got that book (didn't even think to look in it! :roll: ) so you don't have to worry about typing it out :D i'll take a look at it and put it into our daily training.

again, thank you.

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Moj you are a star!! I have just dusted off my chewed Perfect puppy book and found the exercise you describe on p104/5.

I'll type it up in case Poppington hasn't got the book!

"Exercise: Elementary chase recall
1) You will need two people and two toys. Begin by throwing a toy past your partner, who should be standing facing you some distance away. Do this several times and allow your puppy to chase after the toy and bring it back to you.

2) About once in every ten throws, at random, throw the toy towards your partner, who should catch it and tuck it away out of sight. As your puppy begins to run after the toy, shout 'Leave!' loudly. Since the toy he was chasing has effectively disappeared, he will eventually look back at you to see if you have it.
When this happens, tease him with the other toy and throw it in the opposite direction. Allow him to chase and retrieve this one, but try to make this chase more exciting, either by pretending to go after it yourself or by using a more interesting toy.
Eventually your puppy will learn that when he hears the voice-cue 'Leave', there is no point in continuing with the chase because the more rewarding chase game is now back with you"

It also says that it may take several weeks to get, shouting 'Leave' to often will result in hesitation before running to get toy so exercise won't work! It also says will need to increase the exciting circumstances you play this game.

I can get Luna to STOP when chasing a toy. She will also wait before going to fetch a toy that has been thrown. I guess I need to be more exciting than the toy after she has STOPPED (shall take favourite footie toy tomorrow as well as tennis ball!)

Worth a try!

edited to say! Typed too slowly! Cross posted! This book was my bible for so long! Can't believe I missed out on that bit of training when Loon was smaller!!!!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
basil, thank you. i've taken that on board and i will now do more training and game playing on our walks. we already do a little bit of those but i'll up them and try new things with her and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Luna-tic said:
edited to say! Typed too slowly! Cross posted! This book was my bible for so long! Can't believe I missed out on that bit of training when Loon was smaller!!!!!
i can't believe i missed it either, ah well :roll:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Think gonna skim read the rest of the book this week incase missed any other gems of advice back in 'lack-of-sleep-puppy' haze days!!!

I have a feeling that I need to take advantage of a slightly more tired Luna in the afternoon and children having after school play on field in front of house to practice this one - before weather sends all humans into hibernation! Should take a short stroll out when see other doggies are on walkies time out there too. Probably with harness and long lead as back up.

Focus for this month me thinks!!! Good luck with Poppy!

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Just read properly the brilliant advice from Sarah and Basil!!
Luna admits she's making her own entertainment and is rather peeved that her secret has been blown!!!

I think she's starting to join my mother in hinting that she likes kids and I'm getting to a certain age! and also reminding me that I promised her a companion dog pal! (Dogs and kids being her chase objects!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts