Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear, this dog gets up to so much mischief!

Box of Lindt lindor (coconut) chocolates on the kitchen side...less than a minute of me popping to the loo & Humphrey has had the box off the side, shredded it in the lounge and opened one chocolate as far as I can tell. That one chocolate was nibbled and had a few bite marks in it but I don't think he had much at all. He may have eaten a full one including wrapper but I'm not sure how many are in a box to be able to count them and I only found one empty wrapper and the chocolate that belonged in it.

I did try and search, but I'm on my phone and searching for 'chocolate' on a forum where one of the breeds colours is chocolate is not finding me the posts I might need!

I googled and it doesn't sound as though the amount would be toxic to him, but I like to err on the side of caution...so, what am I watching him for? It said sickness, diarrhoea, seizures, restlessness between 4 and 24 hours after. If any of these happen do I ring the vet, or just if he gets restless or has a seizure?

He's currently snoozing on the sofa...I can't believe he has got up to mischief before 8am and before I've had my coffee! Little sod!

And the chocolates can only be bought from the Lindt shop and were a Christmas present for someone...which means we'll now have to trek 45 minutes to Cheshire Oaks again!
 
?

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I nibble of milk chocolate won't harm him. It's dark chocolate you really have to watch out for and even then it has to have been more than a nibblesworth :wink: .

I wouldn't be worried. Put it this way my friend's GSD ate a whole brand new, yet to be opened, tin of Quality Street and apart from doing sparkly poos for a few days, she was as right as rain.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
20,497 Posts
For 99.9% of dogs eating one or two chocolates will do no harm at at. In fact, when I have a bar of chocolate Amy always has a piece.

Relax, John :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying so hard not to panic or overreact!

I think he's eaten 1 and a half because I discovered another empty wrapper just under the sofa when I was hoovering round! I know not a massive amount, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

We've got an old cat who is poorly at the moment and I definitely didn't want a poorly dog to add to that! :)

Hopefully he'll be fine and we can put this down to experience and from now on we'll be putting things in or on top of cupboards!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,504 Posts
Ditto the guys above, don't overreact - LOL. Stop googling, like John i give my dogs chocolate as a treat here and there when munching and they would either need to be dramatically or hugely unusually allergic to it or eat a TRUCKLOAD to have a bad effect.

Di
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
My friend's Lab is constantly stealing food and has eaten a chocolate bar or two on a few occasions (wrapper included) and he is fine. I would just keep an eye on him and if he is sick take him to the vet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,240 Posts
Oh blimey, don't worry, mine always have a little cube of chocolate when I have a bar, or the coffee or strawberry cream from the quality street, honestly, really don't worry.

It's dangerous if a small terrier ate say a large bar of 90% cocoa dark choc or a bar of cooking chocolate, or if your average size labrador ate a tin of Roses or Quality street. It's size vs amount and some dogs have no reaction to Theobromine at all.

Of course it's better they don't have any to be on the safe side as there is always one dog that will have an adverse reaction to the tiniest amount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,490 Posts
It must be the weekend for it, Olly nicked a block of butter yesterday, and Jazz stole an apple turnover :twisted:

They were both returned to their rightful owners however :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,284 Posts
It does depend on the amount and type of chocolate and the size of the dog, as mentioned already. I eat dark chocolate, which is the worst kind, so store it carefully. Even so one of my dogs has managed to nab a relatively small (but enough to worry about) amount in the past. Thankfully she was a big lass and was fine.

I have known of other dogs who haven't been so fortunate so I am still very careful and wouldn't share my chocolate with my dogs (but I eat solid dark 85% type stuff). It is still worth being careful about how you store your chocolate though as I've known of large dogs to end up on a drip for several days and just make it through after raiding a tin of QS or Roses and one Lab I remember very sadly died after raiding the chocolate.

I don't wish to cause over-concern when a small amount is eaten - just saying, still be careful about where you keep the chocolate :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He does seem totally fine! He's slept all day which is the routine we try and have them in for when we're at work, so I'm not concerned any more!

Of all the things he could've got into he had to pick the chocolates! They are really expensive online which is why we stopped at the Lindt shop when I was getting my new wellies. They were only £4.50 in there or 3 boxes for 10 and typically, we got 3 boxes because it only worked out about £1 more, and the others were just the regular lindor ones that you can buy anywhere! These coconut ones are only stocked in Lindt shops and on their website. Trying other places like eBay and Amazon even they are so expensive for the same size box! Grrr! I'm sure I can think of another reason I need to go to Cheshire Oaks...my Uggs are kind of worn out, and a second pair of wellies wouldn't hurt to have!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
My Gracie once ate a whole box of chocolates - milk, white and dark. We were worried sick but she actually had no reaction at all. Not even sick. The chocs were on top of a wardrobe and to this day we have no idea how she got them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
By now you'll know Humphrey is fine but, as others have said, I used to give Rolo the odd Christmas chocolate (I hate coffee creams!) with no ill effects.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top