Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have booked Hudson in to get neutered, he will be 7 months when he gets done and I cant believe how guilty I feel :( people are already asking me why, telling me his temperament will change, it will effect hos growth and so on.

I am doing it because I do not plan on breeding and I would be irresponsible if I left him and he ended up getting a bitch pregnant! There are enough homeless dogs ready.

I was going to wait until 9/10 months but I thought best while the weather is bad (he doesn't like the rain) instead of the summer when he will be able to go on longer walks ect. Is 7 months okay?

I think I just feel guilty because I dont want to hurt him!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I forgot that I'd posted on here as a guest many years ago when we hade Judy spade at a very early age.
Most were really shocked at who young she was but we followed the vets advice and I'm really glad we did. Obviously a bit different for a male chap (my eyes wince at even the thought) but if your vet is happy then I'd go with it. Our little nutter didnt change in temperament one bit.

Hope all goes well and Hudson hit's some high notes for a day or so!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Personally I'd wait until he's finished growing. I don't tend to neuter until at least 2 years. I understand that some neuter to try and 'tame' some unwanted behaviours, although I think these can 'generally' be dealt with through training.

You mention the issue of walking him after the op., but this is usually only a few days so it wouldn't, shouldn't affect him at all really.

Each to their own, but I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet advised between 5-8 months, I felt 5 was a bit young.

I have read that if you leave it too long they could start "roaming" and once the habit starts it can stick? My last lab was not done and he was terrible for pretending to need a wee and making a great escape! Returning a little while later looking guilty, which I really do not want.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vet advised between 5-8 months, I felt 5 was a bit young.

I have read that if you leave it too long they could start "roaming" and once the habit starts it can stick? My last lab was not done and he was terrible for pretending to need a wee and making a great escape! Returning a little while later looking guilty, which I really do not want.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I had Toby neutered at 16 months because he was starting to roam.

My previous labradors (4 in total) dating back to the 1970's stayed entire, they were not broke, so didn't need fixing.

I think 5 to 8 months is way too young, The vet here has made a point of saying he is ANTI castration, saying that the benefits are greatly exaggerated. he agreed in my case the decision had to be made but this was not the case in all cases.

I think your vet is wrong and i would tell him or her straight. In fact i would be angry suggesting a young dog should be done this soon.

Having said that, it did stop Toby wandering, so the habit did not continue, it has not changed his nature and he remains the perfect dog, but he was 16 months old and started to wander at 14 months, so i would wait and see and if he doesn't need fixing then don't.

Take care.

Gary and Toby.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
I waited until around 15 months on back of comments on here & links I had read re relative health benefits of waiting.

But............I had to manage Mr Humpalot for longer than I would have liked. Things improved a few weeks after the Op but he has already learned repetitive behaviour & still engages in some habitual humping. This seems to have increased in recent weeks to the pont where he refused whistle recall for me last week. Shame as this is the only significant negative aspect of walking him off lead. Being more aware of learned behaviours I think I might have had him castrated earlier but only if satisfied it was not at significant detrement to physical development .

Re-visited humping aside - If anything he is more affectionate and a little more chilled at home. He can be playful at times like most dogs but he has never been hyper.......On a side note I would like to train out excessive doorbell barking.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I keep reading "positives" of early neutering and then the next link it positives of waiting until 14 months and my brain is totally fried! I feel guilty as he seems too young but I was going by the advice of the vets. I am so confused and just want to do what is best for him!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had mine neutered at 7 months and have had no problems. It hasn't changed his temperament at all.

He also was out walking quite quickly afterwards on vet recommendation.

Everything went smoothly and I don't regret having it done early.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
LyndsayxHudson said:
I keep reading "positives" of early neutering and then the next link it positives of waiting until 14 months and my brain is totally fried! I feel guilty as he seems too young but I was going by the advice of the vets. I am so confused and just want to do what is best for him!

Yes, i can see why you are confused, you are getting so many different points of view and experiences and even different vets can't agree.

There are people here on Labrador forums with far more knowledge and experience than me.

My advise would be to take a deep breath and just have a think 1st and wait for someone with better information to post.

It's not just about temperament, there are a whole lot of other health things to consider. having dogs neutered too early may or may not come back to haunt us later.

Just don't rush in, you have no reason to.

Gary and Toby.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I paid extra for pre-bloods for peace of mind. I won't pretend I recall what all the tests were one was for clotting - Kind of useful to know if 1st time in surgery.......I had them done on back of advice on here. I didn't pay extra for an I/V drip and wish I had so dog was more comfortable. I did however, make it very clear the vet should use a line in any concern whatsoever.

Importantly post op make sure you take time off to be with dog and keep an eye. Also watch for salivating which is a sign of pain and was trigger for us getting green light for giving increased dose of post op pain relief.

If it helps I think I might have had him done earlier....Maybe 7 or 8 months.

I should point out that the catalyst for me having him done was the humpalot issue..........ironically one that hasn't gone away & is difficult to train out & manage off-lead

I would never castrate just for sake of doing it. Not having a dig & you have stated your valid reasons

·
Registered
976 Posts
Toby was done at just over 11 months. He had started to be interested in friend's bitches and was a pain. He was fine afterwards.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Our vet also said we could have Cooper neutered from 6 months, but I decided to wait following comments on here. I think back home in Canada we neuter/spay earlier - but that's just based on my personal experience. My mom is still shocked that Cooper hasn't been done yet!

Cooper is 10 months (today actually!) and not showing unwanted behaviour that could be related, so I'm waiting for him to turn 1yo to do it.

Do your research and then do what you think is best for you.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I castrated coal at 6 months. In hindsight too early as I didn't know any better. I think it did affect his temperament. He calmed a little but at 7 is still a mischief maker. Maybe that's just his personality anyway. I'd like for him to have matured a little longer. He had a luxating patella issue at a year old and had an op for it at 18 months. I wonder if I'd left him entire whether his bone growth etc etc would have been diff and issue wouldn't have arisen.

Finn I had done at around 14/16 months and that was because he was marking loads, peeing up coal as he was peeing and was switching off to recall etc.

Jed is 22 months and still entire. He is a sweetie and a sensitive lad and needs all the testosterone he can get lol he does sniff and mark but recalls v well and it's not an issue so he will remain entire for the timing being.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I called the vet and cancelled. I explained I was worried it would effect his growth and the worry of increase risk of bone cancer. They were fine and I feel much better :) there are a couple of un spayed bitches around so we will just keep and eye as he grows.

Thanks for all your honest feedback!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was just chatting about this yesterday with my fellow dog walkers. Thor is 13 mths, he's been marking and sniffing a lot for a while now but not enough to disrupt our walks to the point where it is a problem. Then this past week he has tried to mount two other dogs, both are girls neither were in season. I stopped him as fast as I could and he didn't go back to the dog to try again. I'm hoping this is not a start of unwanted behavior or if it was just an excited ooh lets play moment he was having, I really don;t know as he';s never done it before. He humps his bed at least once a day and usually early in the morning but that's it.

He is very easy going not at all dominant in behavior, he'll play with anyone and any dog and is getting better at reading doggie situations and not bouncing on every poor dog that is just bimbling along for a quiet walk. He does get rather possessive over a stick that he may have found but I think that's fair enough and he always drops it is if I ask him persuaded by a treat of course. His recall is far from perfect and he gets majorly distracted by everything but we are working on it daily, again I think that's also down to age too. The ladies I walked with yesterday all experienced dog owners for years, said he is a young boy still, a teenager if you like and give him a little more time to grow up a bit and if he's not humping everything in sight or running away from home then perhaps leave him for the time being and see how it goes. They all think he's lovely and so playful, one of the dogs we walk with is an entire 2yr old male lab and doesn't bat an eyelid at anything. The rest of the dogs we walk with are all girls and he has never attempted to mount any of them although a fair bit of bum sniffing does occur at the start of our walk but that's all of them doing it a doggy hello I guess ! Then they all hooley around and go for a swim and as they have done since he was younger.

It's tough because I want to be a responsible dog owner I really do, but I don't think at this moment in time that castration will make a difference to us. My vet is very nice and pretty much said the ball ( excuse the pun) is in your court right now, your choice.. So I'm waiting for now to see how we get on.

It is tough because we all want the best for a dogs ..

·
Administrator
20,497 Posts
I can understand you being worried, particularly as you have already had a dog who roamed. But most dogs are sexually well adjusted and never cause a problem. I'm not anti neutering, all of my dogs and bitches have finished their days neutered, the youngest at 15 months and the oldest at 10 years old! (The oldest was a bitch and needed neutering in an emergency due to developing pyometra, and I made up my mind to never leave it that late again.) Bitches are more difficult than dogs because spaying needs to be timed around seasons, but dogs are easy and can be castrated at any time.

As to when, have a read of this:-

http://www.assisianimalhealth.com/news/2013/02/17/neutering/

The study was carried out on Golden Retrievers, but exactly the same applies to Labradors. Another article worth reading is:-

http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/spay_neuter_considerations_2013.pdf

Remember, there is no rush. Fit neutering in to suit yourself, for example, fitting in around holidays for example. There is no "Date" which it has to be done by, make it suit you.

Regards, John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts