Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: :cry:

This has really upset me tonight. Pud has a bad ear which the vet thinks may be caused by allergies. We have had an ear cleaner to use for the past 6 months which does keep it under control quite well but they have flared up this week.

I have real problems getting the ear cleaner/drops in his ears. It has got to the stage where i speak to him and he moves to the other side of the room whilst checking whether i have got anything in my hands which breaks my heart. Pud is usually a really gentle boy, he has found his voice a little since sydney came home and will growl a warning at him when he is being a pest. he has also started to growl when i am trying to deal with his ears 8O At first it was a low grumble but tonight it was a proper snarl that has had me in tears :cry: I just dont know how to deal with it.

I discussed it with the vet yesterday and she said that for a lot of dogs they never get to the bottom of allergies so i really need to get pud to accept that i will have to touch his ears and put drops in if i am going to keep on top of it. She advised remaining calm, talking in a low reassuring voice and with me holding him she was able to calmly get the drops in. My problem is trying to do it myself at home. I do have a housemate but we are not often at home at the same time and this has resulted in me having physically restrain him whilst trying to keep his ear open and get the drops in - a stressful situation for both of us. His reaction tonight really shocked me and i cant hand on heart say that i was 100% sure he wouldnt nip me and i never thought i would say that about pud (just typing it is making me cry :cry:

I dont know whether i should stay calm, carry on reassuring him and ignore the behaviour or tell him in no uncertain terms that it is unacceptable. I know he is in pain but he really does need to learn to accept it or they'll never get better. The vet did say that she thought i was managing them well but if i'm honest i havent been using the ear cleaner as often as i should because i find it so hard and even today the first day of eardrops i was tempted to just leave it at the one application instead of 2 which makes me feel like an awful owner :oops:

Help!

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Leanne, have you tried giving him a big treat as a reward once he's had the drops go in?

When Max first came to us he had manky ears and I remember it took two of us to put drops in - my husband held him and I did the drops and yes, he would have a grumble too. I gave him big praise and a treat once the drops were done (even if he had grumbled, as I was wanting him to have a more positive association with the drops). After not too long, he improved vastly as he knew he would get a treat and now will happily let me clean/put stuff in his ears and then look expectantly at the fridge/treat cupboard.

Worth a try? I did find it easier to have two people at first though so if you are able to enlist someone's help, that would really help - and if you're worried about his teeth, maybe try muzzling him while he gets used to having them?

Just my experience :flower: Have found it has worked with nail clipping too.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Poor you - Leo has repeated ear infections caused by allergies and I know how stressful it can be.

With Leo, I use food to win him over. I get some cocktail sausages and call him to me and give him one. Then get him to sit, pull his ear back then give him another one. Put the ear cleaner in - another treat. Massage his ear - yep another sausage etc etc. It works for us anyway. If Puds is distressed you may have to start slowly - just give him a few treats just to allow you to touch his ear. Then build it up gradually.

Failing that, and this may be extreme, but I have had both Leo's and Alfie's ears properly cleaned out under sedation at the vets because I have struggled to do it at home (Alfie is a nightmare but touch wood he doesn't have the ongoing problems that Leo does). So, if you really are struggling, that could be an option for now and then use the drops to clear it up and then, when his ears aren't quite as sore, use the treats to "win him over".

Hope to help - and please don't get upset - he must be so tender :(

Vicki

·
Registered
577 Posts
Star is the same with her ear drops now, as soon as she sees me with the bottle in my hand she flattens her ears, cowers and RUNS. It is horrible to see your dog act that way with you isn't it? I'll be honest with you i've given up with the ear cleaner altogether now, my vet knows and agrees with me its for the best as Star is so frightened of it, that was what started the running and cowering routine so instead we get a flannel which we squeeze some of the ear solution onto and wipe all around the inside of the ear flap to remove any gunk build up there making sure we don't get inside the ear itself with our fingers. We then try to gently squease a few drops off the cloth to run down the ear and give her an ear massage at the same time to free any gunk.
She is still panicky but much better than when you try to drop the very watery ear cleaner down the ears from the bottle.
When she has an infection our vet now gives her a couple of days of oral steriods and oral antibiotics to relieve the pain and inflamation before we have to try and battle with the drops as when the ear canal is so swollen it hurts when the drops go in.
Poor Puds, hope he feels better soon.
Katrina

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all that really does help - where else can you come for advice and reassurance at 10pm on a Friday night and get it within 10 minutes :D

I'm thinking the treats are the way to go and that i really have got to keep working on it when his ears arent so sore. Your idea of trying something other than the cleaner is worth a try thanks Katrina.

I was armed with treats tonight and he wouldnt even take the first one off me (he'd already bolted down the kitchen) i was so upset at his growling that he didnt get the 2nd bit :oops: I think maybe upping the value of the treats would work - i have a lovely bit of hard cheese in the fridge ready for use in training i'll chop that up in the morning and see how we go.

It is so reassuring that it's not just me that struggles with it x

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
leapudding said:
It is so reassuring that it's not just me that struggles with it x
You should have seen us with Alfie last year. My hubby - who is over 6' and not slim - would sit on top of him and I would try to put the drops. Note the word "try" - somehow Alfie would manage to turn his head at just the moment I was approaching with the drops. Getting them done the once properly under sedation made a world of difference.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Fudge has needed ear drops from being a pup, again allergy of some sort. He used to go bonkers every time. It was as though the drops were stinging as they went in.

I got a different one from the vet (I'll look at the bottle and let you know the name of it) this was more oily. I seem to recall him saying the cleaner was like an astringent so that was the reason for the change of drops.

It did take a while for him to get used to it though and I don't think they got the thorough clean they needed at first but we got there eventually.
Maybe If you did it slowly, massaged and cleaned with the solution on the cotton wool pad first instead of squirting it straight in the ear itself.

He loves it now, in fact when he sees the drops & cotton wool he comes and lies down ready, I would honestly say that he has a look of ecstacy when his ears are being cleaned.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I think the advice that you have been given is top notch! Well worth giving a ton of treats to give him reassurance in you.

You could also consider warming the solution. sit the solution bottle in warm water, then drizzle on to a warmed flannel. the sensation of cold fluid running down your ear is horrible.

Another option - but maybe one to think about in the future is TEP powder. fabulous stuff and may help resolve the problems you are experiencing.... as I say maybe for the future not yet?

What is the name of the cleaner you are using???

I think because the pain associated with his ears is so close to his main sensory organs this is what makes it worse to deal with - in doggy terms he probably feels like he cannot escape the pain he experiences.

You could also maybe consider giving him something to help with the pain (I use green lipped mussel tabs on my dogs....) but this is something I would reccommend you speak to your vet about first. even if you only do it temporarily to get passed this difficult time in getting the treatment established. once the ears start to get better hopefully he will be more willing to let you help him.

try and keep your voice calm otherwise he will pick up on any anxieties you have.

(I find treating them when they have just eaten their dinner after a walk is usually easier... may not be practical though).

good luck

Heidi

G

·
Oh i do know how you feel, Jemma used to have horrible repeating ear infections and used to have drops. SHE HATED THEM! She would kick, run, generally be a worm and wriggle, bury her head etc. I used to have to do them on my own, and she was a BIG dog.

I used to have to sit on her and use my entire body weight to keep her still so i could do them (not the best idea i know, but when you take into account she weighed about 38kg and at the time i weighed about 47kg, so i didnt stand much of a chance!).

Eventually she did *get used to it* though and would give a huge sigh when she saw the ear drops and just lay on her side for me to do them. So it does get easier!

I dont blame them for not liking it, if its anything like the stuff i used to have to use as a kid it tases NASTY! (yes you can taste it when you put it in your ears!)

Im sure with lots of praise and yummy food he will come around :)

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
I just use baby wipes to clean Dysons ears out now Leanne but he doesnt mind the cleaner now anyway.At the beginning it was a bloody nightmare and we would end up scratched all over and with me being frustrated and near to breaking point.
Like Angela every step was a treat :D and now he just lets me get on with it
:D
Also at one point I was putting his drops in when he was eating his dinner :D

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Oh hun!!! I am so sorry it's been getting you so down. I know exactly how you feel, Ozzie is the same with his eyedrops - thank god the conjunctivitus cleared up eventually!! I felt like the evil wicked witch of the west as he bolted whenever I had the dropper in my hand.

I think everyone here has given you some great advice, so I've nothing more to add except a big hug for you and a bum scratch for Puds xoxoxo

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Aaw Leanne, I am totally with you on this and understand how you are feeling.

We have exactly the same with Penny and sometimes the two of us can't physically restrain her as she is so strong and determined not to have the drops in. She too will growl and runs a mile when she sees the bottle. I have exactly the same fear as you, one day she will snap, I know it.

Persevere with the treats and try to get him used to it, we haven't and I regret it. Now every time Penny's ear kicks off, which is probably at least 3-4 times a year it is strong antibiotics and painkiller injections.

You are not a bad owner, far from it!

Hope you are feeling a little better today.

G

·
I totally understand where your coming from... Alfie has suffered with his ears for years and we've been through alot of investigations with nothing showing up so we were having to use the ear cleaner every other day... it was a nightmare.

I found doing the softly softly approach with him made it worse, i know it hurts him so he use to growl and he hated the bottle. I would recall him to me... making him make the choice of coming to me with the bottle in my hand and then treat and let him go, i did this ALOT... but then i got tough and made him stay still while i did his ears... i felt awful but i thought i had to be cruel to be kind :( Alfie knew then that i would be doing it regardless and then he slowly got better and afterwards he'd get alot of fuss and a extra nice treat :) I always make sure i call him to me though to have it done, i never go over to him... not sure if that helps at all but it seemed to make alfie accept it more.

He still hides if i get the bottle out but thankfully since changing him to a raw holistic diet his ears only need cleaning once a fortnight on average which is a huge improvement from several times a week :D

Now Alfie knows when they need cleaning and will come over to me with a waggy tail wanting me to clean them although he still hates the procedure its as though he now knows having it done helps them feel better which does make it alot easier to do. He's only been more accepting of it in the last 6 months though and i've had to clean his ears for years :(

I also would play with his ears while he was laying down so he got use to me touching them.... he now loves nothing more than a good ear rub :D

You'll get there, its just finding a way that makes it easier for Pud and don't feel bad about it or he may well pick up on it. oops i've typed loads, sorry xxx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Leanne

Sorry to hear Puds is struggling with his ears. Try not to take his grumpiness personally - he loves you really, just doesn't know how else to protect himself. Having had 18 months of working with grumpy Millie, I would agree that lots of patience and treats are the best way, but also a firm "no" when he does growl to let him know that it is not acceptable to growl at you, followed immediately by a huge treat as soon as he stops. Mille came on leaps and bounds when we discovered how to make liver cake with garlic - she is not as nice to kiss, but well worth it! It is still her preferred treat.

Good luck and hope it gets easier for you.

Kath x

PS Millie passed her Silver KGC two weeks ago, starts Gundog Stage 1 tomorrow and agility in October! Wish us luck for tomorrow - hope she doesn't get too stressed and show us up. She is much better though. :)

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
You've had some really good advice on here.
Luna hasn't had ear cleaner drops since about this time last year because at that point she got so distressed she was sick!!! (and her ears were pretty much clean anyhow!)

I like the ideas of using a flannel, warming the bottle, getting the dog to approach the bottle, practising looking in and touching the dog's ears without using the cleaner and even replacing drops with oral medication when necessary.

Touch wood, since initially picking Luna up from the breeder's with filthy ears she has not had any problems. I clean them each week with a cotton bud dry/wet and sometimes a wet tissue. And Luna does seem to enjoy the scratching satisfaction of having them cleaned and will adjust her head to make the cotton bud reach just the right spot!!!

I think the more stressed you are about having to give the ear drops the more stressed the dog gets too so the calmer the better. I wouldn't reassure just insist it be done with your actions, don't use your voice at all until you erupt with pleasure once complete! I do sympathise though as having your dog run from you is something no-one wants.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again to everybody who took the time to respond, i'm feeling much better about it now. I have been armed with big chunks of cheese for the rest of the weekend (much bigger than they would normally get so an extra special treat :D ). With 2 of us it is a doddle but still more difficult on my own. Yesterday he was bolting from one end of the living room to the other with me following with cheese :oops: Even after i was finished he wouldnt come to me to get some cheese i ended up throwing bits on the floor which he rushed over to gobble up then went back to the furthest point of the living room to eye me warily - he wouldnt take the last bit out of my hand until i actually went to him.

Today i made him stay in his basket - my hall is v small and he kept running to the living room trying to escape but i kept calling him back praising him touching his ears and giving cheese and eventually put the drops in. But then continued calling him back touching his ears and giving cheese until I was ready to stop - hopefully he will learn that I WILL get them in and also gently touch his ears but in return he'll get treats and if he just sits still it will all be over much quicker :D

All i've got to do now is stop sydney from licking his ear in the hour after i've put the drops in!

Thanks again to all those who replied on here and by pm x

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oohhh eerrr missus :D :D :D I'll pass the message on! I'm sure he'd much prefer the delectable Mole's ears to Pud's smelly infected ones :D

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Oh Leanne...you are not alone :) Milo only has to see me reach in the cupboard for the ear cleaner and he is gone gone gone :( and looks at me as if Im going to give him a beating :( :( ... I feel so bad but he always knows afterwards that treats are on hand and all is soon forgotten..keep at it :)

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Good to hear that progress is being made already! Cheese and ear baths! Puds is being spoilt now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts