Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nellies ears are so much better now, no inflamation or infection and now we are just ear washing to get the last of the gunk out.

But I have a niggly feeling it may have been thornit that started all this and it might be the cause of the gunk staying IN there rather than coming out.

How can I test this (because most vets are anti thornit so I can't ask them)?

If I put a small dusting on her ear flap to see if it in any way looks red a day or two later would that be a way to check?

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I have to admit Sarah for me its a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. If the ears are clear leave well alone.

That is not to say I have anything against Thornit having met and chatted to the "Thornit lady" on a Norfolk beach, it does seem to work with a lot of dogs.

My dogs do not seem to have any problems, apart from needing an occasional clean (or when Gem has a litter :roll: ), and apart from me checking them they are left alone.

?

·
0 Posts
Why not rub a tiny amount on her tum, just like any skin patch test. At least on her tum you will be able to see (through the bristles :wink: ) if it makes her skin inflammed or spotty.

Like Jill, I would leave her ears well alone now they are settled, just in case. :wink:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm not wanting to put thornit into her ears just now as we're almost sorted (well the patch test in a week or two but i'll do that on her tum now - thanks).

I'd just like to know if thornit is the problem as I do use it when ears look a little gunky in general as a prevention and it's always worked well for Basil.

The vet has said that at the moment Nellie has particularly narrow canals and a tighter L shape than most doggies, as such her ears hold water(and gunk!). This could improve as she grows.
We have a cleansing solution for after swimming to help dry them (she dives) , but i'm not keen on using that tbh and planned to just use saline.

But if she's going to have gunky in ears in general then I'd hoped to use thornit rather than be back and forth to the vets :?

Will give it a week or so and try a blob on her tum :)

?

·
0 Posts
You'll have to get her some ear plugs for when she goes swimming, just like my nephew used to wear when he had a perforated ear drum. :wink:

I suppose it is always possible to have a reaction to anything, so Thornit won't be any different. :?

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did google (as i don't have the leaflet that comes with it) to see and found a couple of threads from other forums where their dogs reacted to thornit.

OTOH it could have all been in there backing up and the thornit did what it was meant to and brought it all out.
It's just the pustules and inflammation/weeping was a lot worse than I have ever seen in an infection and of course the swobs showed no infection either :?

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Poor wee Nellie - but interesting what you said about the reaction to Thornit.

I have tried it a couple of times with Neo and have both times ended up with major ear infections...I jsut assumed it didn't work with him, but now I am wondering if he also reacts....

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
If it is a reaction to Thornit - which is essentially just iodine, then watch her with fish because fish contains iodine :wink:

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Is it? 8O

Is that definite - that Thornit is essentially iodine and fishy???

In which case that explains Neos poor reaction as he has a severe fish allergy.....

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dyson had a very severe reaction to the Thornit as well Sarah and his poor ears were in a terrible state
Thanks Georgia, I've been thinking about Dysons ears with nellies problem, because I know he has ongoing problems.
I don't think I'll do the test then, I'll just accept it's probably not worth risking again.
Can I ask what AB's / ear cleanser Dyson has that suits him? Nellie had canaural and I really wouldn't want it again as i'm not convinced it didnt irritate her ears further. Touch wood we'll not need it again.

Kendra - that's really interesting about it being iodine (that would be quite easy for me to do a skin test with rather than faffy thornit powder too).
I have given her fish but only a couple of times, once in the middle of her ear problem and once the other day. I haven't particularly noticed them worse since.
Could it be a contact problem with iodine rather than an ingestion? Or do allergies not work like that and if your allergic to touch on the outside you'd be allergic to eating?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
The ingredients state "Iodoform" and it does smell strongly of iodine.

If it is a reaction to the Thornit, then Nellie might be reacting to another ingredient if she's been ok with fish in the past.

Eve: If Neo is having a reaction to Thornit and he reacts badly to fish then I would say it's certainly an iodine senitivity. I can't be 100% certain as I don't know much about animals, but when it comes to humans I have to ask if they have a fish or shellfish allergy if I'm about to use iodine or an iodine dressing on them. Not many people know about the relationship between fish and iodine!!

As far as I know, if you're allergic to something then any sort of contact with it will make you react to varying degrees. I can't imagine Nellie would be ingesting the Thornit though? A patch test probably would be the most sensible option :)

sasababe> Thornit is a natural "rememdy" many of us use when our dogs have stinky/dirty ears to save a trip to the vet. I tend to use it monthly when Indy starts to go mad scratching at her head and ears and it works within a couple of days to calm it down.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't imagine Nellie would be ingesting the Thornit though?
No, no I meant if she was fine eating fish that would suggest it perhaps wasn't thethorinit afterall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts