Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Jess is a bit mixed with her puppy nylabone - sometimes she loves it (when it seems to come alive - lol!) but sometimes she is just not interested at all. The other day she stole (sorry, borrowed!) a rawhide knotted bone from my parent's dog's toybox and she loved it - it kept her interested for ages! She's only 12 weeks so we kept taking it away from her. But how old can pups be before they can have rawhide chews?

Cheers - Vix & Jess

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
some people give their dogs these without a problem but also have known quite a few owners that have had real problems ( dogs choking and also some instances of dogs obstructing and then requiring surgery ) so personally we dont ever give our dogs these ( have just found safer chews ,Fish 4 dogs :D ) , really the choice is up to you , some people are able to give raw bones without a prob but again we have had problems so dont.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
poppy has a rawhide chew every night. she loves them and hates all things nylabone, always has :roll: .

i'm a first time dog owner and up until now i wasn't aware that they could possibly cause problems. but knowing that won't stop me giving poppy her evening chew, we are always around when she has it and i personally can't see that they're any more dangerous than anything else they can get their chops around, poppy for instance has choked on her dinner, so ..... :roll:

but that's just my opinion.

edited to say that i have just googled it and my opinion is still the same as we only buy good quality chews as pops is rather fussy as to what she will eat chew wise. :) :roll:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have to say that my Jade has had a rawhide chew everyday and she is now 10 :D She has never had any problem with them...however I am no expert :) Her packet at the mo says can be given from 3 months :)

Heather

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
zak loves his raw hide chews, we buy the really big tough ones, so we have never had a problem with them, on the other hand proper fresh bones give him the runs and he always manages to break sharp pieces off so i dont give him them

sheila and zak

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
When Indy vomited up a huge chunk of rawhide aged around six months, I stopped giving them to her, but that was from a large "bone" and not a small chew.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I give rawhide now and then - again, never had any problems either. My two enjoy a good old chew on rawhide - keeps them quiet and happy for hours!

G

·
Ruby loves her rawhide bones, and they're great for keeping her occupied when I need to get on with things.. After I read about the problems some dogs have with them not digesting properly I just cut down how many I let her have in a week. I alternate with proper raw bones and always make sure I'm there to supervise. That way I usually manage to grab the potentially dangerous stretchy bits out of her mouth before she swallows them.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I stopped giving my dogs rawhide when my first dog had problems with a big piece stuck at the back of her throat, many years ago.

Thankfully we were there and realised she was in trouble and I managed to open her mouth and get the rawhide out - and I've not given it since!

For something long lasting to chew on, mine have the Galileo bones which I think are made by nylabone but much harder than the nylabone bones we've bought. I'm not sure if they have a minimum age but Minnie-Moo has been gnawing on them since a pup as it wasn't very easy to stop her using the older dogs' ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our breeder recommended giving puppies rawhide chews. I think with any toy, there needs to be a lot of supervision with it to make sure bits don't fall off. My pup has tons of toys that he loves one minute then all he cares about are shoes.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My boys all have a 7" rawhide cigar chew everyday. I am with them while they eat it (in the office). When they were younger they had the similar style but smaller ones designed for smaller dogs. I have fed them for years with no problems, although I have never given them when I am not around to supervise.

They have "real bones" on average once every 6 weeks or so. Again, always supervised. They keep their teeth beautifully clean.

Katy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts