Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gillie has been having raw food for his tea the past four days. Straight away we have got firm poos instead of squidgey messes and no stinky farts!! His itching also seems less. He is currently having the Nature Diet frozen nuggets and chicken wings but I have arranged to go to a local butcher tomorrow and pick up some chicken, lamb and beef bones - even we can't afford to eat from this butchers!! I have also bought some heart for him to try.

I am still nervous about giving him the bones but I am hoping this gets easier as he loves it and the benefits are great!

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Have you worked out a diet for him yet? As in, what you're giving him for each meal, as BARF is balanced out over time rather than a complete set of nutritional requirements at each sitting.

I did a diet sheet a while ago, which is free to download from my dog website (ehem, just take the 'art' bit out of my web address below) - download the puppy pack and there is some barf information in there.

You might find that beef bones are a little bit rich and give your pup a slightly runny tum the first time, or the first few times, or you may have no problems at all! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Downloaded - it looks great! Can I ask you a couple of questions. How many chicken wings would you be giving for breakfast at 5 months and how much do you increase by as they grow? He is currently 16kg and 20 weeks.

Do you cook the kidneys? I gave Gillie a tiny piece of raw kidney to try as I was cutting it up for the freezer and he just spat it out and left it!

Thanks again - this is really helpful!

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Everything you give them is raw, so yes to kidneys, I would mix it in with something else until he gets a taste for it - liver is quite rich and should only be fed a couple of times a week, it does occasionally make them a bit looser.

I based mine on two chicken wings per sitting for an adult dog, the whole wing, which sounds minute but what you have to remember is that there are no fillers in there. For the pups, they got one chicken wing at each sitting, or if they were smaller wings, then they got two, and perhaps a bit less for another meal.

I never did weigh food out for them all the time when they were little, and don't now. If they look a bit lean they get a bit more, if they look a bit porky then their rations get cut back (and I get the pleading starving eyes 8O ). So for example, at the moment, they've both been having smaller portions because they haven't been getting their normal exercise (Tau has been in season and Indie has been slightly lame).

Raw eggs are another one that some really love all of it, and others just eat the inside and leave all the shell. A good way to get round this is to pop the whole egg in the blender, and whizz it all up together. Same for your kidneys, pop them in with something he loves and whizz them up together.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much! I am off to the butcher this morning for our goodie bag and also to see if he can make some pet mince from the offcuts. What mince do you use? I can see it getting expensive on prime supermarket mince!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi, I make 'burgers' with a variety of mince meat, tripe and fish, a bit of cabbage, apple or spinach etc. Put a bit of olive oil in and freeze them. Chicken wings or thighs are also a favourite meal. I do pretty much same as Tarimoor as regards to seeing how much food to give. More if she looks a bit lean etc. Good luck.
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts