Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Please forgive my ignorance in advance! My husband and I were talking over a late lunch and discussing Pepper's diet and thought that she might enjoy some fish.

We live in a coastal town in Northern Spain. We know that squid, octopus and mackeral are regularly landed here. And we can get hold of other things very easily in the market. Our question is this: what, if any, preparation would be needed with anything caught or bought? Is there anything I should be wary of?

Hannah & Pepper xx

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think all of those are OK (without filleting the mackerel - not easy, anyway) but the mackerel may be strong on the stomach first time round.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I'd be wary of giving a very bony fish to a dog that isn't used to dealing with raw bones. I'd stick to things like sprats and softer boned fish at least until they were used to dealing with those, before giving something like mackerel a go, not only is it very bony, but it's quite oily.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Squid and cuttlefish and hake should be ok. Mind you ink on squid etc could be a bit problematical. My lot LOVE whole fresh sardines.

I feed them whole. :D

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Isn't it funny how they all like different things.
It was sardines that i tried with these two from the fish mongers.. Its the first food Roxy has turned her nose up at, I was very shocked. Ripley tucked into his then brought them up 5 mins later. The smell was horrendous LOL :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Zasa will eat fish like a blinkin' seal pup, but the rest of them aren't as keen. They are fine with it minced in with other stuff, but on their own, they are also prone to bringing them back up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts