Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi We feed our girls kibble at the moment. I have heard lots of good things about raw food. I was wondering if anyone can help me with the pros and cons of kibble vs raw.
Also how much raw food would a lab need a day as a rough guide. Also would it need to be fortified with anything else? supplements or fruit and veg. Many thanks 馃槉

Administrator
I dont feed raw, but a great believer in a varied diet. My dogs are fed a kibble, but often also get a little of what we have. But there are others on here who feed raw, Tarimoor for one. But there is a lot to be said for feeding a mix of raw and kibble. The kibble is a good standby in an emergency, particularly at holidays.

Registered
Hi
We have an 8 month lab (Stanley) and he has been raw fed since 12 weeks.
we get the food prepared in pouches and each pouch is made up of 80%meat 10%offal and 10% bone.
Stanley is approx 28kg now and has 2 pouches a day. I can鈥檛 remember how many grams are in the pouch but I can check when I get home.
the pouches come in a box of 14 and it鈥檚 拢14 so that鈥檚 enough for a week.
he loves his food. He also has a bonio and sardines and goose necks to munch on. Not everyday for the sardines and goose necks but he loves his bedtime bonio 馃槈 He is a typical lab and eats anything!
He has been fit and healthy on the raw and has a lovely shiny coat. He was fit and healthy on the JWB puppy kibble he came home with and wolfed it down but his coat wasn鈥檛 as healthy as it is now.
Thanks
Lisa

Hi We feed our girls kibble at the moment. I have heard lots of good things about raw food. I was wondering if anyone can help me with the pros and cons of kibble vs raw.
Also how much raw food would a lab need a day as a rough guide. Also would it need to be fortified with anything else? supplements or fruit and veg. Many thanks 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, John and Lisa for your replies. I think I will look into feeding a mix to start with and maybe move more towards raw if it suits them. One of our girls has sore ears. We have mixed answers from the vet. One says she has narrow ear canals and the other feels it's diet related. The other girl loves eating dead things in the woods and crunching them up. I am wondering if she would find some raw food more rewarding.

Premium Member
Just like the numerous varieties of kibble there are different ways to raw feed. Buying complete raw foods can be quite expensive, I've done the diet for mine for a few years but at the minute, due to lack of freezer space, I've got mine on half and half, and actually the kibble I'm buying is more expensive than the raw.

The pros of raw feeding, particularly if you do your own diet, are that you know what they're getting, that the meat looks fresh and healthy. The biggest con is it's a bit messier, and can go of quite quickly if you're not careful. If you have a good local butchers and can get hold of things like chicken frames and other offcuts, offal, lites etc then it can be a lot cheaper, but unfortunately a lot of butchers don't now prepare their own cuts of meat, they buy it all prepackaged. I'd say it's approximately 拢10 per week per dog to raw feed these days, that's including other fresh produce that I put in their diet including veggies, herbs, natural yoghurt etc.

Administrator
One of our girls has sore ears. We have mixed answers from the vet. One says she has narrow ear canals and the other feels it's diet related.
Either could be the problem. There are certainly a number of Labradors with narrow ear canals. This can mean that they do not eject ear wax, causing a build up of debris, accentuated by the ear not being kept as cool as in the case of dogs with larger ear canals. If this is the case then you may need regular ear cleaner drops. Not a major problem, (or expense) once your dog gets use to having them applied.

Me cleaning my old Anna's ears.

Arm Television Cable television Mammal Carnivore

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies, I think I will try maybe just having a couple of raw meal days and see how we go. I agree kibbles are easier for holidays etc.

We do have ear cleaner for her, it still flares up from time to time. It just seems to take her a while to get them better once they are sore. We seem to of had a run of vets appointments. We can go ages without going, but at the moment it feels almost weekly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts