Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you give your dogs Bones from the butches do they eat all of the bone or what??? I have Harry one the other day he just had the Marrow out of the middle and cleaned all the bone, so now I have just the bone around somwhere, then a few days later he had another bone that wasnt a marrow one and hes comleatly eaten it.

Also how offten is ok to give them bones???

·
Registered
245 Posts
Like you i have found that if you can see the marrow then the dog will normally just clean the bone and eat the marrow. If there is a hip joint she may have a go at that too.

With softer bones like a lamb rack of ribs she will normally split then eat the whole thing.

I usually give bones twice a week so that I can clean the house in peace. She's getting faster and faster with them though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I tried to give Seb a bone for the first time about two weeks ago.

I went to the butchers and he gave me some rib bones. I gave him one and he absolutely loved it and ate the whole thing in one go.

At 3am the next morning I was woken by barking and when I went downstairs and opened his cage he darted to the back door. I let him out and he had diarrhea which continued for 2 days 8O

He has not had a bone since :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I give my dogs bones daily, but not marrowbones. The marrow in marrowbones is very fatty and can cause an upset tummy. I feed chicken carcasses and lamb ribs as part of their daily diet. If they do get a marrowbone it is as a treat and I only let them have it for half an hour at a time and stick it back in the freezer. Too many bones can cause constipation!!

?

·
0 Posts
I feed bones pretty much daily too. Mostly chicken carcasses which the dogs devour in minutes. Lamb bones and beef ribs don't last long either. I never feed pork bones, as they seem to upset my girls stomachs, although I don't really know why. And if they have the big marrow bones, I scrape out the marrow and use it to cook my roast potatoes instead :D. They don't eat much of the big marrow bones though, as they are so hard.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Zak and Brodie are raw fed so have bones daily, carcasses, ribs, ckicken wings. They both go potty for a pigs trotter, in fact I've just picked half eaten trotter up off my kitchen floor :) :roll: we've just had a power cut so we were in darkness, Brodie must have thought he'd be able to get away with eating it inside [-X [-X [-X

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm curious about this, I'd like to give Nuffin more bones but am worried about which sort. I see here people are giving their dogs all sorts of bones (even chicken!).

Just so I'm clear then, is it ok to give him any bone that hasn't been cooked? Do you just go into the butchers and ask for bones for the dog? I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to doing such things and would just like to know what you ask for!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Kalli said:
Just so I'm clear then, is it ok to give him any bone that hasn't been cooked? Do you just go into the butchers and ask for bones for the dog?
I have found that if I give Bella the roasted bones you get from the pet shop it gives her the runs. I have started giving them bones from the butcher and I get beef bones ... whatever they have in stock! Lamb ribs gave Bella the runs as well :roll:

Just go and ask for bones for the dogs from your butcher :wink: You sound like me though so when I initially started asking for dog bones, I used to buy something else at the same time. Now they know me, I normally just get bones and liver for the dogs :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been to a couple of butchers by me to ask for some bits and bobs for the dog and they said ooohhh no I wouldn't give dogs bones I give mine kibble !! I was like your a butcher ?? was most weird I thought.

Started mine on a chicken wing, which are really too small for her but she is sensible and takes them quite nicely. She has the big quarters now. First time I made sure I was in and watched her like a hawk thinking raw chicken was bound to upset her. It didn't of course and she can eat pretty much any RAW meat or bone without having a problem. Problem comes when family give her treats from pets stores! She has water out of her bottie then :roll: as long as its not on the kitchen floor :wink: She has turkey, beef, lamb shanks everything, she eats better than me but I don't mind 8)

Kalli - I know how you feel about going to the butchers, I was the same, so try supermarkets first. They have them prepacked and you don't have to ask anyone once Nuffin gets into them you'll feel better asking butchers for what you want :D

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Kalli said:
I'm curious about this, I'd like to give Nuffin more bones but am worried about which sort. I see here people are giving their dogs all sorts of bones (even chicken!).

Just so I'm clear then, is it ok to give him any bone that hasn't been cooked? Do you just go into the butchers and ask for bones for the dog? I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to doing such things and would just like to know what you ask for!
If your dog is new to raw, I personally would veer away from anything weight bearing, that includes chicken legs, as the bones are that bit denser and more difficult to deal with. Chicken wings/necks or backs are ideal for dogs new to raw, the bones are small and soft, and easy for them to crunch through. Although dogs don't need to chew they can choke or get bones lodged so it's important that they learn to deal with bones, and chewing does actually release endorphins so it's a nice thing for them to do.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Vet told me not to feed Ben bones as splinters can get stuck in the gut what do you think.

I always thought chicken bones was not good for dogs .

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Vets spend about two days being told what to feed dogs by representatives from Hills Science and Royal Canin, which is why they stock those foods, they're on commission. I know a few vets who raw feed and use holistic remedies, alongside modern medicines.

What do you think your dog would eat naturally?

Edited to add my dogs are raw fed, and have always been raw fed, Indie is currently six and a half, that bone splinter's taking it's time :wink:

Seriously though, raw feeding isn't something anyone should just do without reading into first, and doing a lot of research, I've helped a lot of people change over and so far, all without incident, just the occasional upset tum from red meats usually.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Tarimoor_Art said:
Vets spend about two days being told what to feed dogs by representatives from Hills Science and Royal Canin, which is why they stock those foods, they're on commission. I know a few vets who raw feed and use holistic remedies, alongside modern medicines.

What do you think your dog would eat naturally?

Ben would eat anything if given :lol: only thing he`s not keen on is pickled onion flavour monster munch .

Loves cheese .

·
Registered
715 Posts
Olly and Sophie are raw fed, the only bones they don't get are pork bones which they find a bit rich. They don't get big beef bones, but they like the ribs, they eat lamb neck and rib bones and venison bones too. So far so good!!

They started with chicken wings though, and progressed to eating the rest gradually.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks all, I'll buy him some wings to start with and sneak one in a day to compliment his over priced Royal Canin hehe.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Gosh this makes me look such a coward, grabing the answer that means I don't have to face talking to the butcher heh heh heh.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Murphy and Leo have either a chicken carcass or lamb ribs each day as part of their raw diet.

Amber my bitch doesn't have them as shes still eating her way through the kibble and feeding raw and kibble too near together can cause upset stomach..a kibble meal takes 12 hours or more to digest where as a raw meal takes about 4. Once shes on raw she'll start having bones.

Bones are ideally given as part of a raw diet - indeed my local BARF shop only recommends giving bones after two weeks of being on the chicken mince and veg and even then they recommend just starting with the chicken carcasses for a couple of weeks before trying a different variety.

If you were to give a bone I would give it in the morning and then a kibble meal for tea so as to minimise risks of upset stomachs.

Murphy and Leo had minced chicken and wild rabbit this morning...they went crazy for that particular mix!!! :lol:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 2 now have any bone thats going at the butchers. I find the market to be the best butchers as they have bigger bones with alot more meat on. I gave Alfie a chicken wing when he 1st came here and he just gulped it in one, where as Harry will still eat it nicely. Mine love the big beef bones with lots of meat still on them. Harry takes his time and enjoys it. Alfie goes at it as if hes not been feed or its his last meal. Id love to feed raw all the time but its expensive and very time consuming.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Mine get bones - and like others, the marrow can really upset them - so I too scrape some out.

They also get chicken wings - but Morgan cant be trusted not to swallow his whole - so I tend to snap the bone in his.

Oh - and I always freeze mine first, then defrost for them.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
If you source a good butchers it is as cheap as feeding kibble. I pay £2.50 for a box of chicken that has about 40 portions in there, and get lamb bones for free, well, a donation in the charity box. I also get green tripe for 50p for a 1lb block, although I'm gonna have to find someone else as my supplier's stopped doing it. It costs around £10 per week for my three, so not at all that expensive.

If anyone does think about swapping over, the best way is to try them with chicken first, replace a meal a few times a week with chicken carcass, and if they're ok with that, you can switch to a tripe/chicken diet, and then slowly add in the other protein sources over the course of several weeks. That way, if there is a reaction to anything, you know what it is. If you bombard their system with lots of new protein sources and they get a dodgy tum, you would have difficulty knowing what it was that set them off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts