Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , new to this so please bare with me. We have a 7month old chocolate lab and was wondering if anyone on here has one of her siblings. We got her from ravensmead kennels in new Cumnock in December and would love to hear how they're doing. Our girl is a complete joy, she totallly had us all wrapped around her and can't remember what it was like without her. Hope the families that took her brothers and sisters have as much fun as we do. Thanks Aileen

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Aileen. If you post your girl's KC registration number I will look up the registered names of her siblings and someone might recognise them.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Wow, they have 76 breeding dogs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ravensmead Kennels

Just to say I bought a Chocolate Lab pup from the above breeder and have had him for 5 weeks, during this time he has suffered from very loose to almost custard consistency, I had to take him to the vets and had a poo sample submitted for testing, this subsequently came back positive for Guardia, which is a parasitic infection which causes severe bowel irritation and difficult to clear up. I called the breeder and explained this and I felt they were totally uninterested and said to claim my insurance for the cost! Not the response you would expect from a breeder, my vet said that the parasitic infection is caused by poo contaminated drinking water!!
I love my boy and wouldn't swap him but I've now got a vet bill running into hundreds of pounds!

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I'm surprised you have a vet bill for hundreds of pounds. There would be the costs of the vet's consultation and the testing, but Giardia is normally treated by using Panacur, a wormer which is relatively low in cost.

No matter how thorough a breeder is, Giardia in dogs can often show no outward signs and then be easily transmitted to a litter. The breeder's choice of wormer will have an impact on whether or not the parasite survives in the puppies, with the likes of Drontal ( a popular puppy wormer) having no effect on it.

Reactions: Casodil

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm surprised you have a vet bill for hundreds of pounds. There would be the costs of the vet's consultation and the testing, but Giardia is normally treated by using Panacur, a wormer which is relatively low in cost.

No matter how thorough a breeder is, Giardia in dogs can often show no outward signs and then be easily transmitted to a litter. The breeder's choice of wormer will have an impact on whether or not the parasite survives in the puppies, with the likes of Drontal ( a popular puppy wormer) having no effect on it.
It's not surprising really that the vet bill is so much, he has been for his third consultation, a course of pro-biotics, now on second course on anti-biotics, this one for twenty one days!!
I bred cats until very recently, I was licensed and also currently hold a dangerous wild animal licence for large cats. I never once had an issue with Giardia which is usually caused by contaminated drinking water usually with faeces, it can be difficult to shift with just Panacur and we have had to have tests done to find the most effective treatment, it's not improving and further tests now may need to be done. I wish I had researched this breeder first as I have found out today she had been investigated in 2016 by the SPCA and many other owners report that their pups have had diarrhea when they got home and had other health issues!
I should have known as the place was not the cleanest, however, caught in the moment of being presented with new puppies your heart sometimes rules your head, I love my boy, however, I feel so sorry for him!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
With 76 breeding dogs, I’m not surprised there’s potential difficulties with hygiene.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
It's not surprising really that the vet bill is so much, he has been for his third consultation, a course of pro-biotics, now on second course on anti-biotics, this one for twenty one days!!
I bred cats until very recently, I was licensed and also currently hold a dangerous wild animal licence for large cats. I never once had an issue with Giardia which is usually caused by contaminated drinking water usually with faeces, it can be difficult to shift with just Panacur and we have had to have tests done to find the most effective treatment, it's not improving and further tests now may need to be done. I wish I had researched this breeder first as I have found out today she had been investigated in 2016 by the SPCA and many other owners report that their pups have had diarrhea when they got home and had other health issues!
I should have known as the place was not the cleanest, however, caught in the moment of being presented with new puppies your heart sometimes rules your head, I love my boy, however, I feel so sorry for him!
Unfortunately, antibiotics can upset the gut's natural balance and prolong diarrhoea. If he's not having the probiotic anymore, it might be worth giving him a teaspoonful of natural goats milk yoghurt with each meal. The larger Sainsbury's and Tesco sell it and it's produced by St Helens Farm.

It's such a shame you didn't find out about the breeder's history before you went to view the litter but at least your boy's in safe hands now.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
I always feel so sad reading posts like this but this puppy is now in safe hands and will be cared for and loved. I couldn't resist googling this breeder and going on google images - - appears to be large commercial breeder, dogs kept in outbuildings, photographed in kitchen for pets at home ads, Labradors and GSD'S, this makes Me sad and angry!!

Hi Chattan, please keep us informed about the progress of this little fella. I realise that you are angry with this breeder and also with yourself for not doing research before going to look, this is now all in the past. Give him loads of puppy cuddles from Me ❤

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always feel so sad reading posts like this but this puppy is now in safe hands and will be cared for and loved. I couldn't resist googling this breeder and going on google images - - appears to be large commercial breeder, dogs kept in outbuildings, photographed in kitchen for pets at home ads, Labradors and GSD'S, this makes Me sad and angry!!

Hi Chattan, please keep us informed about the progress of this little fella. I realise that you are angry with this breeder and also with yourself for not doing research before going to look, this is now all in the past. Give him loads of puppy cuddles from Me ❤

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾
Thanks for the support, he will be looked after well now!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hope he gets better soon, my oldest girl came to me with giardia too. (Not from same breeder as yours but one that had a few litters at a time)
We were lucky that panacur cleared it up more of less straight away. My girl is now nearly 3 and unfortunately has been poorly for the last few weeks- she had a dose of antibiotics a while ago for something else and they have completely knackered her stomach. Have had weeks of her on /off vomiting. We are making progress now but it’s slow.

Hope you’re pup is on the mend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
He's having to have some further tests, our vet also suggested trying some Chappie, which we have done and it made him sick even though it was only a small amount to try, he has also having a change of anti-biotics to a more powerful type, Tylan, which is also used for cats! I feel so sorry for him as he's a happy wee soul and his training is going well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I bought my lovely chocolate girl from Ravensmead end of October 2005 and she is now 13 and still with us as healthy and boisterous as ever. I have had no issues with her what so ever. Sorry to hear others have, but as far as I new the breeder bred dogs Labs and German Sheps for the Police!

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
Any dog can be a bit unlucky and develop a problem, but looking at the dogs they have bred from I would have preferred to see a few more health tests.

John.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ravensmead Kennels

Just to say I bought a Chocolate Lab pup from the above breeder and have had him for 5 weeks, during this time he has suffered from very loose to almost custard consistency, I had to take him to the vets and had a poo sample submitted for testing, this subsequently came back positive for Guardia, which is a parasitic infection which causes severe bowel irritation and difficult to clear up. I called the breeder and explained this and I felt they were totally uninterested and said to claim my insurance for the cost! Not the response you would expect from a breeder, my vet said that the parasitic infection is caused by poo contaminated drinking water!!
I love my boy and wouldn't swap him but I've now got a vet bill running into hundreds of pounds!
hi new to this l bought a gsd pup last wk and she has had diarrhoea a few hours after we brought her home .took her to my vet who was not happy with her condition, she is on probiotic, and panacur poor wee thing had us up 2 nights with pain in her abdomen, she is on rice and chicken till things pick hopefully.

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
Hi Sunset, have a read of this, it was something I wrote some time ago in reply to another post, so it's not specific for your GSD, but the basis apply to all pups to a greater or lessor extent. Please remember, I am not a vet, just somebody who has too many miles on the clock, so any recommendations by a vet overrule anything I say.

Loose stools! So common in puppies, to the extent most pups are to a greater or lesser extent a bit loose. There are several reasons why this could be so.

Firstly there is the stress factor. We take a young puppy away from everything it knows, It’s mother and littermates, the place which it called home ever since it was born, even the only people it has ever known. It’s easy to imagine how this could upset it’s system.

Secondly comes food and drink. You know when you go on holiday how even the water tasted different!

Thirdly, also concerning food. Puppies grow so fast, and need large quantities of food to sustain that growth. But they only have little stomachs. Next time you feed him, look at him and imagine how small his stomach must be in order to fit in that body, then look at the food and ask yourself, “Where on earth does he put it all?” The answer is that a large part of the food passes through him so quickly that it is only partly digested, pushed through by the next meal! This is probably the biggest reason for loose stools and is perfectly normal.

Fourthly we come to the less good things. There are a number of parasites and organisms which could cause problems, Worms, Campylobacter, Salmonella and the like. But these are not that common. Most breeders have a worming program so it’s rare these days that a pup from a responsible breeder will have a worm burden, but for all that, it’s possible.

If you are really worried then your vet is the person to talk to. They can test a stool sample and determine if there really is a problem or not. But the fact that some samples are firmer would lead me to guess that you probably do not have a problem. I’ve had pups remain a little loose for the first nearly 6 months simply due to the quantity of food required. The stools just gradually improve until you realise that they are now nicely formed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts