Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought a black lab, Oakey, and he's settling in slowly. We are struggling however with leaving him on his own without him yelping the house to its core. Does anyone have views on leaving a radio on when we leave him?

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Since my first dog arrived almost 8 years ago our radio became permanently tuned into Radio 2. It goes on at 6.30am and and off at 8pm. When my spaniel was a puppy she was easily unsettled at night by noises, we found that putting it on at night as background, dulled out other noise. So, yes, I think the radio is great idea, however it isn't a substitute for human company and won't stop any separation issues.

Chloe

·
Premium Member
11,609 Posts
Radio left on when we go out.Also filled kong.A Behavourist suggested,an article of our own clothing ,which had our smell on it.Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only three hours in the morning, and on returning he was sound asleep. Neighbours said he howled for about 30 mins, but then not a peep

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
We built up to that first time left alone
Routine is Kong or treat, command to leave it and then to take it as we shut the front door.

The radio is almost always on in our house. Judy has become a massive fan of the same two pirate stations I listen to and loves listening to a bit of soul, house or old school music.

Oakey sounds like he'll be fine

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I can see from your other post that your puppy can only be about 8 weeks old. You do realise that leaving a puppy of that age for 3 hrs is too long don't you ?

Chloe

·
Registered
423 Posts
I was reading this and realised that I do something funny for Monty. When he goes to bed, we leave the tv on but put it onto 'sleep' so it turns itself off after half an hour.

We always use our Amazon Fire Stick and pick a film. I realised last night that I always pick something I feel is 'suitable'. So last night, the first option was some action packed Harrison Ford film and I remember thinking 'oh no, that's far too violent for him'. I settled on 'Despicable Me'. I laughed as I thought of my strange logic and mentioned it to my husband who agreed and said he always leaves him to something Disney too.

Strange how our minds work!

·
Registered
638 Posts
haha! I thought I was the only one who actually 'picks' a programme for Graham to listen to (he is not allowed in the living room when we are out so can't watch it).

I have been known to turn up late due to nothing good being on tv for the dog to listen to..!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts