Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all - hope you've had a lovely Easter / bank holiday weekend.

Just a quick question on recall. I've been working on Sherbet's recall since day 1. He will happily, reliably come to me from different rooms, with different distractions, from the garden etc but I'm using his name. I've just been reading a few different guides on recall (just to make sure we're going in the right direction) and several are recomending "come". Is there a reason to use "come" instead of his name?

I assume at this point I can start saying "Sherbet come" if necessary and build up from there, but just wondered why first and foremost.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
The command word is there as a direction, so he knows his name, so if you say Sherbert sit, he will sit, Sherbert come, and he will come. If you want him to sit a distance away from you and he recalls on his name alone, then you'll have more difficulty training a sit at a distance, which is a useful command.

Generally there are three ways to give a command, verbal, whistle and physical, so with a recall you say name and come, or if they're mine usually 'get here ya b**gga', or a whistle, peep peeep. At the same time you can also give a physical cue, beckon with a finger if they're close, or get down and open arms to encourage them in. There are lots of ways to encourage them to respond, but if you give them a very narrow cue you are giving them one thing to ignore, rather than lots of things.

·
Administrator
21,153 Posts
As Tarimoor says.

Probably the one place where it is often used as a command on it's own is in gundog work when a person is working more than one dog. In the days when Amy was around, when I wanted to send a particular dog for the retrieve I would send them on their name. But there would also be a visual cue. If the dogs saw the fall then they would be waiting to find out which was going to be sent for it, but if they never saw the fall then I would be using my hand to give the direction, as in the photo below.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good evening all - hope you've had a lovely Easter / bank holiday weekend.

Just a quick question on recall. I've been working on Sherbet's recall since day 1. He will happily, reliably come to me from different rooms, with different distractions, from the garden etc but I'm using his name. I've just been reading a few different guides on recall (just to make sure we're going in the right direction) and several are recomending "come". Is there a reason to use "come" instead of his name?

I assume at this point I can start saying "Sherbet come" if necessary and build up from there, but just wondered why first and foremost.

I use the word come, no, their name very sparingly. If they hear it over and over, they begin to discard what you are saying to them. When I want my puppy to come to me, since I've used the word so sparingly, I'll say "Sheba come" in a louder voice with more inflection than the way I normally talk to her. She can hear the difference and will come to me.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
137 Posts
As I walk my dog in an urban park, there are always 4-5 other dogs around mine and therefore I got into the habit of calling him with his name but he does respond especially well when I do so from faraway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts