Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my new fosterers has just taken a young lab in and he has settled well but she has had a few problems with humping. Not so much from the foster dog but from her own dog and he isnt just trying it with the foster dog he is doing it to everything.

What can she do please? They are both entire dogs.

Im not used to boy doggies, so I didnt want to advise her wrongly.

·
Registered
855 Posts
We had this with a young yellow foster boy, though he was a terrible humper :roll: :D My male Dexter is not usually a humper but would hump him on initial greetings, i think he was just asserting himself.
With our foster dog it was more over excitement then anything, we use to put him on a time out to calm down for a couple of minutes. It did decrease over time.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Agreed - majority of humping is not sexual at all, it is all about dominance.

We have been really lucky, all the foster dogs we have had in, we haven't had a problem - darling Rupert just walked in and my boys knew he was top dog, no questions asked, and it's stayed that way.

There's a really good thread around here by Di about humping, hang on I will see if I can find it, your fosterer may like to read it (if she's internet-savvy).

Yep, found it, it's here

Cheers

Ness

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks, did read that thread last night but I just don't know how to stop it. Bob is just constantly on Biffs back.... if not actually there he's running pressed alongside trying to mount whilst moving.....

how do I actually STOP Bob doing it?

·
Registered
266 Posts
this is really random but i stopped Max doing it by squirting water at him-it was enough to shock him into stopping, i didnt say anything just squirted the water everytime i saw him doing it,after 2 days he stopped and we didnt have a problem afterwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts