Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you don't mind me asking another question about the rescue lab bitch that we are rehoming

She recently had a litter of pups but has been away from them for nearly a week.....there were 9 pups in the litter

We have had a few set backs on bringing her home because of her milk

Today she was seen by the vet who noticed that one of her back teats was slightly hard and are giving her another 48 hours in kennels as it could develop into mastitis

Is one slightly harder nipple normal??

If it does turn out to be mastitis she will have to stay in to have a course of injections

I was just wondering how long it usually takes for a bitch to overcome mastitis, and what the treatment entails

I realise I probably haven't given much info to go on really as it is not something that I have ever had to deal with with Bailey

They decreased her food some more from wednesday as they were finding that her milk wasn't drying up very much

All I know is from personal (human) experience from breastfeeding, and (sorry to be so blunt) my breasts were rock hard when I decided to give up breastfeeding and painful.......after 24 hours the milk had started to dry up, and is wasn't mastitis, just normal for going 'cold turkey' :wink:

Thanks in advance once again :D

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Giving this a bump for you.

All I can say is in the experience of own two litters, the first time, Hally developed mastitis when the pups were about 8/9 weeks old, and was quite out of sorts, but a course of AB's sorted it very quickly - we had no such problems with the second litter - but she did stop feeding them a wee bit earlier (first litter she was still feeding at 9 weeks, and both the vets and more experienced breeders said to let her carry on feeding if both mum and pups are happy - the vets went a step further and encouraged us to allow her to feed through the mastitis.

I am sure things will settle down, and before you know it she will be home with you - hopefully some of the breeders with more experience will be able to give you some more constructive help.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
You are wonderful taking this sweet girl on.

It probably is mild mastistis at that stage, as Sue says it really is a danger time the last stages of the 'drying up period' partly because we tend to think we are *safe* and not check them daily as we do through the rest of the weaning period, I've done it myself!

AB's tend to sort it very quickly and I wouldn't see it preventing her coming to you. Especially as there are now no pups to make it any worse by cutting and infecting that nipple it should heal very smoothly.

On that note, I wrote really because it *may* well not be Mastitis. Some girls do go a bit lumpy and bumpy where the pups have knocked and cut and nicked and tugged at them, particularly on a 'good' back nipple. A small cut whilst healing will feel harder than the rest of the skin by nature of the scaring and possibly internal bruising. Pups are vicious little creatures. i think we should post a short film, to all those who think it might be 'nice for their girl to have babies she will SO enjoy them...' a litter of nine or ten, six week olds charging her when she is tired, run down, with cut sore boobs and burning with milk we are trying to make mriaculously vanish! They can't have cry whilst those wretches tug away like attached to a mechanical milking machine!

i reckon it would be really effective. So yes they can cut and scar mum so hopefully its just that which will settle, again, very easily over time now the whipper snapers have gone.

Good luck with her, I really think you are great doing this!

Di

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
You are wonderful taking this sweet girl on.

It probably is mild mastistis at that stage, as Sue says it really is a danger time the last stages of the 'drying up period' partly because we tend to think we are *safe* and not check them daily as we do through the rest of the weaning period, I've done it myself!

AB's tend to sort it very quickly and I wouldn't see it preventing her coming to you. Especially as there are now no pups to make it any worse by cutting and infecting that nipple it should heal very smoothly.

On that note, I wrote really because it *may* well not be Mastitis. Some girls do go a bit lumpy and bumpy where the pups have knocked and cut and nicked and tugged at them, particularly on a 'good' back nipple. A small cut whilst healing will feel harder than the rest of the skin by nature of the scaring and possibly internal bruising. Pups are vicious little creatures. i think we should post a short film, to all those who think it might be 'nice for their girl to have babies she will SO enjoy them...' a litter of nine or ten, six week olds charging her when she is tired, run down, with cut sore boobs and burning with milk we are trying to make mriaculously vanish! They can't half cry whilst those wretches tug away like attached to a mechanical milking machine!

i reckon it would be really effective. So yes they can cut and scar mum so hopefully its just that which will settle, again, very easily over time now the whipper snapers have gone.

Good luck with her, I really think you are great doing this!

Di

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Diana said:
a litter of nine or ten, six week olds charging her when she is tired, run down, with cut sore boobs and burning with milk we are trying to make mriaculously vanish!
:lol: you are not kidding - they are little savages from a surprisingly young age :lol: and if you have other bitches around, they are not averse to 'having a dip there' as well (much to Clover's Disgust :lol: :lol: )

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for your replies Sue & Di :D

It is a bit of an eye opener this world of breeding bitches, all of these possible problems that I never would have thought of 8O

The staff have been so great with her though and as well as constant checks from the staff she is seeing the vet and vet nurse very regulary.....she really is in safe hands there :D

I will hopefully find out a bit more on her milk & lumpy bits today as I'm going over to visit with Bailey.....and then she sees the vet nurse again in the morning tomorrow

I do really appreciate your advice & knowledge, it's good to know what to possibly expect and about why it's happening :D

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Em_n_Bailey said:
It is a bit of an eye opener this world of breeding bitches, all of these possible problems that I never would have thought of 8O
There are not really any major problems to head off - one would guess by the time she is ready to come to you, it will be when the centre staff are 100% confident that everything is sorted - and then I am guessing you will probably have her neutered at some point in the not too distant future?

The only thing then is maybe helping her try to reduce her saggy bits - other than that, she should be just like any other bitch :wink:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sue51 said:
There are not really any major problems to head off - one would guess by the time she is ready to come to you, it will be when the centre staff are 100% confident that everything is sorted - and then I am guessing you will probably have her neutered at some point in the not too distant future?

The only thing then is maybe helping her try to reduce her saggy bits - other than that, she should be just like any other bitch :wink:
Yeah they suggested 12 weeks after the puppies were born for neutering and she will go back into the dogs home for this.......we're going to play this by ear slightly as we want to settle her at home and this will only be about 5 weeks from now

I am looking forward to reducing both her saggy bits and mine :lol: I am hoping that with 2 dogs to walk we will all become a bit fitter :D

I can't wait for her to be running full pelt around the hills by where we live, I will definately be taking my camera with me on that day :D :D

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Hi, by no means do I have a wealth of experience on this however I was given some advice (not on labforum) to give Molly parsley to help her dry up. (freshly cut parsley - I have been putting it into sandwiches for Molly).

I dont know if this *may* help if she is still producing milk??

Hope all is ok and will look forward to seeing your news of when you bring her home.

Heidi

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for your advice

Just a quick update on our rehome, she does have mastitis and is now on antibiotics......I am really hoping she is over it quickly :D

?

·
0 Posts
No experience with Mastitis in dogs but I did have it myself when Son Number Two decided I should go "Cold Turkey" when he was 4 months old and completely refused to feed from me. It was very painful and I had a Temperature of 104f but within two days of strong AB's I was much, much better. So I'm confident your girlie will shake this off and be home with you soon. :wink:

Can I just add, I just love your Bailey's face. She looks such a sweetie. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts