Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 20 week pup has been fed Lilys kitchen Chicken&salmon puppy food since we got him, without any problems. He is a typical hungry little lab and has been putting about a kilo a week on. The feeding chart for weight - age is saying to feed him less now that he is 20 wks & 16.6kilo.
Does anyone know the rational behind this?
He scoffs his meals within seconds despite using a ‘bumpy’ bowl and will happily chew just about anything he can grab whilst walking.
Obviously we can’t keep increasing the food amount indefinitely but to decrease it seems almost cruel !😱

·
Administrator
20,649 Posts
The feeding chart for weight - age is saying to feed him less now that he is 20 wks & 16.6kilo.
Does anyone know the rational behind this?
With a young puppy the food has two uses, firstly it provides fuel rather like petrol in a car. But secondly it also fuels growth. As puppies get older the growth rate gradually slows until finally finishing at a year or so old, so the need for food to fuel this growth is gradually reduces. The best thing I can say to you is to feed to the dog, not the food bag. All dogs are different in both size and metabolism. My old Beth was a ball of fire where Lucy, who I had at the same time was a very calm quiet dog. Beth, although the same weight, needed nearly twice as much food as Lucy. My Chloe, nearly 10kg lighter than my Amy needed nearly a third more food. At the very best, the feeding amounts on feed bags is only a very rough approximation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts