Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lola, is 9 weeks old and fed on the above as that is what the breeder weaned her on. Trouble is she's very gassy and her poo is loose (not runny) and its not the dark colour I read about.
Do you think its worth changing her to something else slowly or sticking with the Beta

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
When puppies are small it's generally recomended not to change food too often as their tummies are delicate however if it's not agreeing with her changing might be good.

Have you tried reducing the food a wee bit first as overfeeding can cause loose poo? The amounts in the bag are just guidelines and some pups may need more,some less.

Puppies can be a bit runny when first going to new homes as it's a big change for them.

www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk is a good site as it lists lots of foods and you can look at all the ingrediants etc.

I would eventually take her off the beta as it's a pretty poor quality food, look forsomethjng with a good meat content and no fillers.

Millies Wolfheart
Acana
Eden
Simpsons premium
Canagan

They are all good quality foods. A good food with no fillers will have smaller portions sizes which means less waste out the other end plus it works out cheaper :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you
She has half a measured cup 4 times a day with a few treats a day, I will keep an eye on her and see if it settles down.
She has a vet check on wednesday so I will mention it to her too.
I did overfeed when we got her as the instructions on the sack confused me but I've sorted that now

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Unfortunatley I don't know what portions are in cups, I weighed all mine out in grams. Are you using treats on top of her food? A lot of treats bought in supermarkets, pets at home etc aren't very good and could cause sloppy poo too.

If doing training you can always use some of her daily allowance. When mine were both small they very rarely got their meals in a bowl. Most of it was used for training/tricks/games.

I would be getting her off the beta though as it's really poor and on par with bakers/pedigree :)

·
Administrator
20,649 Posts
ttfan has given you good advice, but a few words in addition.

At 9 weeks old I'm guessing you have only had her for a few days. Everything is strange. No dam around, no brothers or sisters, her breeder who was one of the few humans she's known from birth is gone, even the place where she lives now is different! And you know when you go on holiday how even the water tastes different! She does not understand English so no amount of telling her that everything is fine will help her understand whats happening, so it's not surprising that she is feeling stressed. Then add to that the fact that she has probably only been eating solid food for a couple of weeks! So looked at like that, lose stools are completely understandable. Actually you will probably find that they will not fully firm up for the first month or so.

Obviously I cant see just how lose she is, so if really worried your best approach is to scoop up a sample and put it in a clean plastic tub and slip her and the sample along to your vet. Yes there are several things which "Can" be wrong, but personally I would be surprised in this case. :)

I will differ to ttfan slightly though and say that I'd not change her food straight away, good or bad it's best to have something consistent in her life. What I would do is to get a better food, but just add a very small amount to the Beta, gradually increasing the amount of new food while reducing the amount of Beta so over the course of a couple of weeks or so she is completely changed onto the new food. There is no rush so change slowly.

Regards, John

·
Administrator
20,649 Posts
We have had Lola for just over a week now
Yes, that's about what I guessed. Most pups leave the breeder at around 8 weeks. I'm reluctant to say, "Nothing wrong" because there are things which can cause loseness and diarrhoea in pups, Campylobacter being one, hence my suggestion about taking a stool sample to your vet. It's impossible for me to be certain without seeing a sample, but I think it highly likely there is nothing wrong.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I would stop using the pedigree treats, they are very poor quality and are not really good for her. When she is so young her kibble is more than enough for training :)

Whippy poos is common when small and it may well just be the extra treats :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have changed Lolas food to royal canin jr on advice from the vets but now she seems constantly hungry.
I cant win at the moment! Her poos are a lot better now though and she has no wind

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have changed Lolas food to royal canin jr on advice from the vets but now she seems constantly hungry.
I cant win at the moment! Her poos are a lot better now though and she has no wind
Royal canin is not a particularly good food either! It really is worth having a look at the all about dog food site at better foods. RC is very expensive for not so good ingrediants. If she is settled on it then that's good but it wouldn't be my choice.

Labs are always constantly hungry lol :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She seems to have gone off her rocker since having it, she can't seem to settle down. I have had a quick look at the site. I will have a proper read later

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your vet is part of the CVS group, and several thousand are, they'll try to push Royal Canin on to you as they have a bulk purchase deal with them. RC is generally a triumph of packaging over content and is ludicrously expensive for what it is. We also were given Beta Purina Puppy mix for Bruce by the breeder and its rubbish, it really is. At five months he went onto raw and he's never looked back. He started pooing nuggets almost immediately, and much less of them. Bulmer is the one we use- its delivered to your door and is very good value too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's been on wainwrights puppy dry now for 6 weeks and she's thriving on that. We did mix it with wet food for a bit but it made her very gassy.
We've settled on that now and she's doing great.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
She's been on wainwrights puppy dry now for 6 weeks and she's thriving on that. We did mix it with wet food for a bit but it made her very gassy.
We've settled on that now and she's doing great.
That’s good news :) Not all foods will suit all dogs and its just working out which suits puppy best :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts