Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
Alfie is 14 weeks now and a confident well socilased pup.
Am assuming it's normal that he's not to keen on bath (read shallow pool with clean water and a cup for rinsing) time and the two he's had have been more like an episode of the great escape vs a bath lol.

but - sorry I'm waffling,

Recently had a visit to the seaside (Camber Sands) where he raced in to the sea after me, got to sholder height stopped , very confused, and then returned to waters edge and cried for a minute or so. Since then he's a little reluctant to get his feet wet. I'm very keen to have him enjoy the sea playsessions but not wanting to have him stressed with the water introduction.

I was to try recall when in the water with treats next visit but want to get it right first time?

Suggestions/Help appreciated.

Thanks
Graham

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hi,

Oscar was the same as a pup, maybe it's just a bit overwhelming for them when they are small. I was wondering what king of labrador I had that didn't like water but Oscar is 5 months old and loves to swim. He was tentative until a couple of weeks ago when he met a springer spaniel at the beach. The spaniel went off for a swim and Oscar just followed. Since he found out he can swim there's no holding him back.

Norma & Oscar

·
Registered
480 Posts
Troy was quite reluctant as a puppy to go near water. He got to the point that he wouldn't even walk through big puddles. I can't remember exactly how old he was when he first swam but I do remember he seemed to suddenly overcome his "reluctance" to go near water. It was as though he suddenly thought "I can do this and it is fun - especially if those people get wet too :wink: " Now we can't keep him away from water (or muddy puddles!)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Bracken always liked to paddle in shallow water as a pup, but was never keen on the sea at all. She wouldn't go near it.

She was always fine with a bath, but hates (and still does) the hose outside.

It's only in the past few months that she's started swimming properly (15 months now) and absolutely loves it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts