Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a chocolate lab. I'm based in Staffordshire but willing to travel up to 50 miles. All the recent ones I've seen online have been way over priced, I would like to pay around £800-£900.

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Sorry, but owing to covid19 virtually no responsible breeder is breeding. The virus has meant that the various health testing schemes have come to a standstill, no hip scoring, no elbow scoring, no eye testing. People have not been able to meet to mate their dogs, vets have not been available in the event of problems at birth. All this has meant the puppy farmers and get rich quick merchants have had a field day. I really doubt you will find a pup bred by a decent breeder this year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We lost our lab last year and have been looking but the prices are getting stupid £3k seems to be a new norm for a pup and the amount of scammers we have come across has put me right off. I think we'll try and register with a breeder, my only worry is once these prices have become inflated they may stay. It does look like some people are cashing in with 12 week old pups being rehomed due to changing circumstances and I would think once people go back to work and bored puppies start chewing a lot of a few month old pups may become available.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
As John has said, no responsible breeder is doing much right now, and if you do see obvious profiteering then it needs reporting to the local council. The best places to look are on the KC website and champdogs, the latter you can usually see photographs and lots of good details about dogs and whether the owners show or work them etc.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I think, even when things return to the new normal, you’ll need to up your budget. I paid €1,650 for a well bred pup from one of the top breeders in France (some would say worldwide in her time), not once but twice in the last two years (That’s not including the €300 it cost to do the journey, which I did 3 times). I know well bred pups in the UK were going for about £1,200 in some regions too, pre covid19.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts