Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an eight week old lab puppy and he's 2 months old now, I'm concerned about his weight as he still is only 2.5 kg , we feed him 4 times daily, his stools are good(sometimes runny) but he is healthy , we gave him a calcium bone and that gave him stomach infection which caused vomiting but other than that everything's fine, should I worry or is it normal?

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
Just looking at the photos, he looks fine. Labradors can vary so much in weight, depending on if they are from show or working lines. I tend to go more on appearance rather than what the scales say.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
He doesn't look skinny, (although hard to tell from a photo) so I wouldn't worry too much, as long as he's happy, eating, drinking and energetic. If you haven't already done so, book him in with your vet for a check up and his vaccinations, you'll be able to discuss any worries.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Wow, that is a small pup! But the photos don't show that he's skinny, he's just exceptionally small for his age.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Blimey, that’s tiny! He looks well but my 8 week old pups have normally been between 7 and 8 kilos.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Blimey, that’s tiny! He looks well but my 8 week old pups have normally been between 7 and 8 kilos.
I remember the biggest puppy I've seen was one of mine, well, one of Tau's, she was over 9kgs at 8 weeks of age.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Freddie was 515g at birth. 6,36k at 7 weeks. Pops was 418g at birth (smallest in the litter) and 6,79k at 8 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I've just looked up Zasa's last litter, the biggest was 480g, but then she did have 11 of them. There's one that didn't get weighed (born in the back of the car) but the smallest were 370g.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got an eight week old lab puppy and he's 2 months old now, I'm concerned about his weight as he still is only 2.5 kg , we feed him 4 times daily, his stools are good(sometimes runny) but he is healthy , we gave him a calcium bone and that gave him stomach infection which caused vomiting but other than that everything's fine, should I worry or is it normal?
As long as your dog is healthy you shouldn't worry about its weight. Not every dog is the same. It is normal.In the photos, your dog doesn't look that skinny. So don't worry.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. Polly was only 2.5 kg when we got her at 8 weeks. She is a small lab and at 9 years old still only weighs 22kg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts