Labradors Forums banner

Puppy Treats

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  ginx85 
#1 ·
What treats can we feed a 9 week old lab puppy? other than the normal pre-packed 'Puppy Treats' from the pet store?

Thanks

Paul

#2 ·
I'd stay stick with the pups own kibble as treats for now. You don't want to feed them too many weird and wonderful things while they are little. A lot of these pre packaged treats say not for pups younger than 12 weeks anyway.

Safe some cash and use the kibble while they still think its a treat! Eventually the pup will get wise to it and you will need to up the anti to something a little bit higher value. But just not yet! :)

#3 ·
Hi,

I've been training Lotti using a broken up Bonio biscuit. She's happy with just the tiniest pieces so one biscuit lasts all day. Combined with lots of praise and encouragement. My older lab is just as happy to have this as his reward as well. I only use puppy treats for recall to the whistle.

Ruby

#4 ·
their dry kibble is good as anything for training :) other than that though you can use cooked chicken, sliced ham, mild cheese (small peices, although it is possible if your pup has a delicate tum it could cause upset), pieces of carrot too
james wellbeloved treats called pure insentives can be used too.

edited to say.... dont forget to take anything you give her as treats out of her daily ration allowance! otherwise you could end up with a fat pup! :)

#10 ·
When I take Koko to the vets for check ups, jobs etc, I make sure I always grab a pack of their sample food. Koko sees it in the bag and gets all excited, only problem is my cat goes mad over them and keeps ripping the bag open!!! :lol:
When we run out we use her normal kibble, she hasn't grown wise yet, but any day soon i reckon she will click and gve me a rather impressive disapproving look!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.