Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering about getting some puppy treats as extra praise for Harry when he wees/poos in the garden. Currently his idea of a treat is a nice tasty leaf to eat, but I'm trying to discourage this! I know there are masses of comercialloy available treats - what's good for a puppy?

G

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Buy a block of supermarket value cheddar (£1.50). Cut into slices (like you'd put into a sandwich, about a quarter of a centimetre thick), then chop each slice into little tiny rectangles. You'll end up with a huge pile of puppy treats :D

Seperate the pile into smaller piles (I tend to put each chopped slice into a bag of its own, but its up to you) and bag them up. Put each bag into the freezer apart from one. Every time your pup pees/poos outside, praise madly when he's done and give him a little rectangle of cheese. I guarantee after a day or so, your pup will pee and then look at you as if to say "I've done what you want, where's my cheese?".

It's worked for us, in fact last time I tried to stop the cheese treats and just use praise, she started peeing on the floor again in protest :lol:
Just remember to keep the bits of cheese tiny as it's fattening and you don't want a barrel for a pet :wink:

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
You could also try the hotdog method as well, I tend to reserve hotdogs for puppy class and *cough* recall training :roll:

Take a tin of 8 hotdogs and slice each one, the same way you would the cheese, but perhaps make the slices a little thicker. Cut each slice into 4. Grease a baking tray and put all of your little bits onto it, chuck it into the oven for 20 minutes or so. Let it cool, then divide into bags, the same as the cheese. Put into the freezer. You now have a zillion puppy treats :D

I find these to be high value reward treats, i.e. pup is more likely to do as you ask if they know they're getting something extra yummy in return. There's also liver cake, many say it's excellent but I've not tried that one yet and I don't have the recipe :lol:

I find giving your own treats rather than shop bought ones means you know what they're getting. Indy used to have a Pedigree Dentastick daily after breakfast, but then we ran out and suddenly Indy became a much calmer dog. Processed shop bought stuff tends to be full of crap which isn't detailed on the packet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts