Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

Well... last night, we had Sally (a 5 month choc lab) come to stay for the weekend with us and Oscar (almost 1).

They have met several times during the week, and have got on really well.. all be it very excited!

Last night my husband and I took Oscar with Sally and her owner down to the beach so that both dogs could tire themselves out before coming home together.

They had a great time running round the beach and in the sea and although we knew they would still be a bit mad when we got home together, we had no idea.

They continued the 'play fighting' in the lounge and garden when we got in. We presume they are working out who is boss, so thought it best to let them carry on and work it out amongst themselves (obviously stopping play when Oscar was getting a bit too boystrous). But both of them appear to want to be boss, so after a while when it was obviously a bit too much for both of them, we put sally in her crate so that they could both calm down. My husband went in with Osc and me with Sally, so that they both had company.

This continued for most of the night.

We went to bed at about midnight with Sally in her crate in the back room and Oscar as usual with free range in the lounge and kitchen.

But at 2am the barking started. Unlike when Oscar first came home to us at 7 1/2 weeks, we ignored the barking so that he knew it wouldn't achieve anything, with Sally we felt it wasn't fair in a new house for her to feel scared, and even if we ignored it, Oscar didn't and barked back, so she was acheiving the attention she wanted.

I think in the end we got about 4 hours sleep because everytime we got them settled again, it wouldn't be long before the barking started.

They didn't seem to want to be apart, but if they were in the same room either witrh Sal in or out of her cage, it all got a bit too exciting and we didn't think it was good for either of them to be that out of breath.

This morning, Oscar was very calm when Sally was in her crate when we went down, but as soon as she got aggitated, so did he. They have just been out together in the lounge and the play fighting continued. This time Sally spent more of her time on her back, with Oscar trying to sit on her, but still her teeth were chopping away at his leg and as soon as he let her up she'd go for his head again!

Do you think that by just letting them spend time together gradually with breaks they will get more and more used to being in the same house, will work out the pecking order and calm down.. or is there something else we can try?

Any tips would be very gratefully received :D

Thanks, Sarah x

ps. sorry for such a long post!! 8O

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi sounds like oscar and sally are having loads of fun..lol..
well i brought home our 8month old choccy lab on tuesday night to meet brandy our 6yrs old lab and well lets just say i have matchsticks holding my eyes open..lol..like your two mine are doing the same playing 24-7 until i stop them (normally when i get flattened in the middle of them..lol) i think rosze has lay down on her own for all of say 2hrs since tuesday night..lol...
but i am leaving them get on with it till they find out who is the boss so far brandy is winning..lol..its like brandy has gone back to being a puppy because if rosze follows me she does to if rosze barks brandy does too..lol..rosze goes out brandy does too..lol..one prob though i have all brandys commands she knew seems to of gone out the window..lol..
hoping they will calm down very soon like today (im praying they do..lol..) in the meantime there having loads of fun and im just happy they are getting on great even though i look like a old woman what with the noise and loads of activity and no sleep and freezing in the morning at like 3am when they decide they want out..lol..

we will both hope they all calm down soon i think :p :p :p
but i sympathize with you definatly..lol..at least you can hand sally back..LOL...

·
Registered
244 Posts
clairiscrazy said:
one prob though i have all brandys commands she knew seems to of gone out the window..lol
Exactly the same thing happened with Lottie when we first brought Ruth home. She was so excited to be running around with her new friend tha she totally forgot her recall and everything else! What I found really helped was to take them out for walks/runs in the park separately and practise training there having quality time one-to-one. Time consuming to have to do it separately but definitely worth it - within a couple of days Lottie was back to usual even with Ruthie around.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
well i would take them out seperatly but my hubby thinks its cruel to take one and not the other (we have 3 dogs 2 labs and a king charles) so if one goes out they all go out..lol..its ok if its in the car but not on the leads oh my is that fun put a pair of roller skates on me and you will not see me for dust..lol..
but yes i would like to take them out seperatly as its easier on me since i am the one that trys to walk them on the lead wereas my hubby uses the car to take them out to the beach (i cant drive) so im in a no win situation..lol..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Sarah,
I have to say that after boarding quite a few guide dog puppies while I have had my own gdp I have concluded that some combinations of pups just are mad! My last pup (now adopted by us) was -the- best of friends with a boy Lab and we puppysat him a lot and she went to his house and they never ever calmed down despite free runs, mad garden play etc etc. They had to sleep with two rooms between them. However a few times we looked after our friends two gd pups and you'd never know we had three Labs in the house. We could put three beds and three dogs in the kitchen and we wouldn't hear a thing till morning. Luckily our current combination of 3 Labs (2 ours, 1 gdp) is one that works!
Sorry, but I've yet to find a solution for a mad combination. Perhaps if you've found one during the day you could share it!
Good luck,
Clare

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I am certainly feeling shattered tonight.. but I think we are making 'very slow' progress :lol:

We actually had 20 minutes this afternoon when they were both out in the lounge together and they weren't play fighting. I managed to even get a pic of the two of them sat next to eachother quietly waiting for a treat 8O

All I can say in thank goodness for crates :D We're just hoping that tonight we may get more sleep than last night as I haven't been able to stop yawning today and I can imagine I will need lots of energy for tomorrow's antics

Sarah x

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When we weren't chasing around after them, we managed to get some nice pics of Sally and Oscar at the weekend.

I have put them in a new folder inside 'Oscarchops' folder in Black Labs if anyone wants to see them.

Despite being exhausted we all had a really fun weekend. :D Made me realise though that if we ever got a second lab, we should defiantely wait until Oscar is no longer a puppy, and to book about a month off work :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts