Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of yesterday i started with the gradual change over of Alfie's food. Hi puppy food was becoming a bit of pain to get as my local supermarket or pet shop didn;t stock it. So i bought the adult version which is very easy to get.
My question is..... Is he still ok to have 3 meals a day or should i think i about changing him to 2?
In the past week he has slept through lunch time and only had his kong filled with kibble as i didin;t wnat him having two meals so close together.
He's been fine expect today he has been looking for his lunch...lol I know labs are greedy by nature but he is still young( 17 weeks).
thank you in avance for any advise.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I kept Minnie-Moo on three meals a day until six months, though I gradually reduced lunch down a few weeks before dropping it.

But none of mine have ever slept through the chance of a meal 8O :lol:

?

·
0 Posts
I would still offer him 3 meals a day, however if he religiously refused the midday meal, there isn't much you can do but cut it out.

Until I had Labs, I didn't know when or how many meals they should be having a day, so I just fed mine whenever they were hungry and in the case of my Collie (fussy mare) she was probably only eating one meal a day by 6 months old and nothing I could do would make her eat more than that. I've not had that problem since having Labs....I think they would happily eat 10 meals a day if I gave it to them :lol: .

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
I used to measure out the daily amount, take off about a Kong full then split the rest of the food into 2. If Luna looked for food at lunchtime then she got the Kong full but she often used to sleep through lunch so she'd sometimes have the Kong full in the evening!

I didn't switch to 2 from 3 meals until Luna was around 6months old, the amount in the Kong gradually decreased down to a couple of lunchtime biscuits when I had my lunch!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have read that you shouldn't feed Labs puppy food as it is too rich, and encourages too rapid weight growth, thus putting extra strain on joints.

It was recommended to me that I feed my pup (when I get her...) normal adult dog food, she will still get all the nutrients she reqiures from this.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
NiffNaff - there are varying vies on this but i think it really depends on the pup tbh. Basil was fed burns puppy which is low protein anyway, he only ever had the recommended daily amount (eg 300g for a 15kg pup), which is usually not enough for most pups and grew at a healthy 1kg per week, I swopped him to adult at 5months a little earlier than most pups to slow things down. Nellie on the other hand needs about 400-450 of the same food and only puts on a 2-300g a week, I don't consider that excessive growth so will leave her on pup food until about 6 months.
That said I don't feed a pup food that is 30% protein. Burns is 21% so in line with most adult foods, just smaller sized bites for little puppy mouths and baby teeth :)
------------------

Donna, i would leave him on 3 feeds as you don't want to cut his daily amount yet do you? If you transfer the 3 feeds to 2 you might find the meals too big for his tum to digest in one go and give him loose poos.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Donna,
Brook is now reaching nearly six months and from yesterday she no longer has lunch, we gradually fazed it out when she started to loose interest in it. Im also thinkin gof changing over to adult food too as she is loosing interest in her current food, the fussy mare. :D

?

·
0 Posts
Niffnaff, you'll probably get loads of different answers to that question. :wink:

I personally dislike and mistrust puppy specific food, so switch mine over to adult food ASAP. But then saying that I do have a mistrust of ALL dried foods (well we only have their say so as to what goes in it), so I tend not to feed purely dried food anyway.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you all.,

Think i'll try make his lunch more interesting...some in his kong and the rest he can hunt around the garden for...

Jules, i am being to wonder if he really is a lab.... Madison would've ate 24/7 if she had been allowed. Alfie is a kinda take or leave it kinda pup but only when its luch time...lol. Brekkie and dinner is scoffed in mins..don;t think it even touches the sides... :lol: :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts