Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me asking a question about my Springer spaniels puppy teeth. Basically she will be 5 months tomorrow and has only lost 2 puppy teeth so far but she has had 2 of her adult teeth come through while her puppy tooth is still in place. On in particular looks quite sore as the puppy tooth is going black at the top but still not showing any signs of moving.

Is this something that I should be taking her to the vet for help with or should be keep a watchful wait a bit longer?

Many thanks

Katrina

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Tatze had that on two of hers. With one the puppy tooth went grey, with the other it stayed white.

They came out eventually but it took ages.

I would leave it until she has her spay - and if it's still there then get the vet to take it out. (If she's being spayed)

(That was the advice I was given and all was well :))

?

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about them just yet. Different breeds seem to teeth at different times. All my Labs have started teething at 4 months and have been finished by 6 months. My Poodles, however, didn't even bother starting to lose their milk teeth until 6 months old.

Their milk teeth do tend to go dark at the top as they detach from the root and blood supply. It's just them preparing to fall out. Quite often their canine teeth come through one behind the other, so they have double canines. The vast majority of these will eventually sort themselves out though and if they don't, then you can always have the extra teeth removed at a later date.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
As others have said, I wouldn't worry. My American Cocker Spaniel will be 20 weeks on Sunday and he has only just lost his front teeth, I had a look today and a couple more are blackish grey at the gum - as Jules said the blood supply has stopped and they are on the verge of falling out.

As with children, dogs teeth don't always come straight down into their correct positions but over the months gradually move and settle in the jaw - thats a big reason why puppies usually go through a second chewy stage at 8-9 months onwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts