Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it happens with trainers as well!
I was with the trainer and my 5 month old puppy pulled off a black rubber stopper from underneath a puzzle and when we tried to distract her with a toy she swallowed it!! I have constantly watched her but she hasn’t passed it so Yesterday she had an ultrasound and it’s still in her stomach. She was at the vets all day and even after making her sick it’s never moved. So next week unfortunately she has to have surgery to remove it. I’m quite worried about her recovering from the surgery it’s a big thing she has to go through.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,783 Posts
Oh dear! These things happen. But keep a watch, it's amazing just how larger article they can pass, and how long it takes to pass through the system. 4 days is not unusual. We tend to think that what comes out this evening is what went in earlier in the day, but it's not. By the time it's been processed in the stomach, passed through the intestines and finally pops out the other end several days have elapsed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,181 Posts
Been there, got the teeshirt.

How big was it?

Have to say, I’d be monitoring it and as long as my pup was bright, eating and drinking and poohing normally, I wouldn’t be thinking about surgery just yet.

My vet doesn’t sedate for X-rays and ultrasounds for these sorts of things, so I’ve been able to monitor things that have been consumed. Many times I’ve followed with a pooh bag and picked up pooh and had a good squish to feel for solids in the “contents” of the pooh. It’s amazing what they do pass.

Having said that, my boy ate a large rosette, complete with safety pin. We were at the vets within 20 minutes. An emetic proved unfruitful, no sign of anything in poohs, on day 3 he had an X-ray of his upper and lower digestive tract to look for signs of the safety pin….nothing 🤣🤣
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Maddie, it is a solid 1 inch hard stopper that was on the bottom of a puzzle toy leg to stop it sliding. The vets have told me I can leave it but if it moves into her intestines that could be fatal so I think it needs to be removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Our pup swallowed a flexible silicon disc at around 11 weeks old. I've never been so happy to see vomit at 2.30am :) Vets had advised us it was 99% likely to pass through given its size but the vomit saved me 3/4 days of watching and worrying!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top