Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

My male lab puppy which we call 'fero' who is 52 days or 7 weeks old weighs only 7.5 pounds and looks small, what should be his correct weight and height , of my chocolate lab, is he too small , and also his coat seems very dry with little bit of dandruff, help me i am worried,

Girish

·
Registered
53 Posts
Vets

Hi,

I have 11 week old lab but got him at 7 weeks old. He was then 11 lbs ( and a bit chunky too!!) Not sure what ideal weight should be.

I'm a novice here too, but I would suggest you took him to your local vet for a full check up (my breeder recommended this also). We took him 2 days after we got him.

This forum is great for advice and hopefully someone will help further.

Hope he's ok

Kathy

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I think the size and weight depends on the dog! All dogs are different, A good guide is to look at you pup standing up to see if he has a waist line and also you should be able to feel the pups ribs as you run your hands gently along his side (feel not see them). But you should not have to push to hard to feel them, if you do then they are probably a bit fat. Puppies are alway difficult as some days they look fat and others they look thin. But if you are unsure then as Kathy said take him along to your vets and they should be able to advise you. You want a pup on the leaner side (not thin) as labs have a fast growth rate and a dog that is overweight is more likely to develope health issues. HTH

Cristina

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I forgot to ask,have you had a vet health check and have you treated your pup for fleas? Also is he itching alot? This is a sign of sensitive skin and he may have an allergy to something. Dry coat and flaky skin can also indicate a deficiency of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, they are key nutrients for nourishing the skin and coat. You should probably seek advice from your vet to find out any problems and to put your mind at rest. Hope everything goes well.

Cristina

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi

Max weighed only 6kg at 8 weeks so i really wouldn't worry too much about the weight... like humans all labs are different. Max used to look small and although at 5 months he only weighs 14kgs he is totally fine size wise and doesn't look underweight at all.... our vet actually told us that he was probably the best lab he had seen... as labs are prone to obesity and growing at too rapid a rate, whereas max on the other hand is growing nice and steady.

I would definitely speak to your vet about your labs coat tho. Max used to have a similar problem when we got him but just changing his diet solved the problem straight away... he is now on royal canin vet early care dry food. Our breeder asked that we get Max checked by our vet as soon as possible and certainly within the first 7 days... and as stated most reputable breeders will do the same.

Best of luck and try not to worry too much... although i know its hard when they are that little

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi girish

Welcome to the forum

The best advice really is to take fero to be checked over by your vet. This is standard practice for all puppies when first aquired, reputable breeders will insist on it with the promise of taking the dog back should there be any serious problem found

Certainly dont treat him with any over the petshop counter wormer, flea treatment etc. until he has been checked over professionally

Good luck with your boy, remember that size (or lack of it!) is often down to the genetics of a dogs breed line rather then something untoward, so dont worry unecessarily

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

We have seen a vet and he says puppy should be alright by coming weeks, but he expressed apprehension about the head size of puppy
and feels its slightly smaller compared to other lab puppies and might not look all that elegant when he is an adult, can somebody throw light on this issue,.

Girish,

·
Registered
272 Posts
Our puppy, Lucy, is 6 months old now and 17kg and fairly small compared to other Labs we meet and she does not have the big broad head which is the usual breed standard. The vet said this is because she is from a field trial background (both parents are working dogs) and that the differences in their stature etc make them almost a different breed. Her mum and dad were not big Labs and have what I can only describe as a 'fine bone structure'. Very beautiful!!

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Dylan is from a field trial champions background,his pedigree is from drakeshead,gunstock line all very good working dogs,and his head is huge,it hasnt always been, as we used to joke that his head was too small for his body but it isnt now,i dont understand what your vet means when he says they are almost a different breed because they are ft stock, ,dylan is a fantastic looking lad, but i am biased,he is also a good solid dog even though he has eating problems and at 35 kilos the right weight so they tell me at the vets,his family are big dogs and he does take after them and to me he is a proper labrador,after all our dogs come in different sizes and three great colours,yet none of them are the same,but we love them to bits whatever,Lynne.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We worried about Molly for a while, but have now taken the opinion that she's fine and will finish up the right size!
The worry came from when we took her to a training class at just under 5months, and she met a 6month old male retriever who was over twice the size of her!.....made Molly seem tiny!

at the moment she's 6months old, and weighs somewhere around 20k, she's not very tall, but is well proportioned...

Looking back at her puppy pics, she seems massive!...

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Paul,maybe shadow and dylan are closely related,these are dilly,s drakeshead lines,FT CH Aughacasla sam of drakeshead(kc),FT CH Haretor mark of drakeshead,FT CH Brenjon dirk of drakeshead,FT CH Westead shot of drakeshead, and lastly Haretor emma,hopefully theres family in there somewhere,Lynne.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FTCH Haretor Mark of Drakeshead

FTCH Heretor Mark of Drakeshead is Bailey's GG Grandad all seem to be good solid dogs and very good pedigree.

Also in Baileys line is Shadowbrae & Trenow Brigadier

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Isnt it amazing how we all worry because our pup is smaller/larger etc. Unless there is a health problem causing the weight or size difference, there really is no need to worry. I have had Labs for 27 years and still worry :D My last litter was enormous, normal weight for a newborn is between 10 and 14 ounces. my litter weights were 20 and 21 ounces. But now at 6months old they have developed at there own rate and are the correct size and weight for their age. My 5 adults range between 32 and 38 kilos, with the thinner one at 38 kilos, simply because he is all muscle, muscle weighs heavier than fat. The fattest one is also the lightest. She just looks fat because she is heavy boned. My two pups aged 8mths and 6 months weigh the same.

As others have said, flaky skin can be caused by many things including worms, fleas etc. but can also be caused by stress. and a pup going to a new home is a stressful period for a pup. A trip to the vet should rule out any health problems and I would advise you to do this as soon as possible.

On the other hand, 7 weeks is a bit young for a pup to go to a new home. Most reputable breeders do not let pups go until 8weeks.

Kay

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Haretor Mark of Drakeshead sired Pocklea Remus, winner of the 1991 IGL Retriever Championships.
Pocklea Remus was probably one of the most used and influential studs of recent times and produced many good dogs. He can found in a lot of working dogs pedigrees today (including my boys).

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Sue2402,great, anothe relative of dylans,they are good solid dogs even with all dilly's problems he's a tall muscley dog,and i have been told by a very good crufts judge that that bad gene he has in him has not come from the drakeshead line.sorry i havent heard of the other lines in baileys pedigree, but i bet they are just as good,take care,Lynne.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi lablover,yes i agree about Pocklea Remus,another great dog, i came across him while checking out dylans line.the drakeshead line has been very popular,you will have some stunning boys then,take care,Lynne.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi Paul,maybe shadow and dylan are closely related,these are dilly,s drakeshead lines,FT CH Aughacasla sam of drakeshead(kc),FT CH Haretor mark of drakeshead,FT CH Brenjon dirk of drakeshead,FT CH Westead shot of drakeshead, and lastly Haretor emma,hopefully theres family in there somewhere,Lynne
Hi Lynne, Shadows drakeshead liners are: FT CH Aughacasla sam (his father), FT CH Raughlin Pete, FT CH Glencoin Drummer, FT CH Breeze, FT CH Drakeshead Wisp, FT CHDrakeshead Tasker, FT CH Drakeshead Tinker.

Looks like a relation somewhere, with Aughacasla Sam as Shadow's Dad!
BTW, what do the entries on the pedigree in red mean?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Entries in red on the pedigree mean they are titled - in the case of field labs it would be field trial Champions.
In the UK to become a FTCh they must win at least three days worth in Open Stake Field trial (some trials are one day, some two - depending on the number of dogs), one of which must have been open to any variety of retriever. You qualify to enter an open stake by winning a novice or all-aged field trial.
HTH :)

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
The entries in red means champions Paul,definatley a connection between dylan and shadow through Field trial champion Sam,he is a fantastic looking lad and dylan has a good resemblance to him,real big head good strong shoulders,i wonder if anymore of the family will turn up?,take care,Lynne.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts